Ma Yansong of Beijing studio MAD is the penultimate architect to appear in this year's A-Zdvent calendar. Featured here is his blob-shaped Ordos Museum in the Gobi desert, which is clad in polished metal tiles to resist sandstorms. The firm also recently presented a masterplan for China where buildings are designed to look like mountains and public spaces overlap with the natural landscape.
- Nike Air Force 1 Store by Torafu Archite…cts
- "There isn't much understanding of China…'s maritime past"
- Shenzhen Crystal Island by OMA and Urban…us
- Olympic ski jump by terrain:loenhart&may…r
- China Insurance Group headquarters by Co…op Himmelb(l)au
- Caramel's narrow CJ5 House in Vienna enc…loses a sunken courtyard garden
- Heliotrope Raising by Bang Architectes
- Casa El Pangue by Elton + Léniz
- Water Discus underwater hotel by Deep Oc…ean Technology
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories