Six British architecture studios including Zaha Hadid Architects, Hopkins Architects and Studio Weave have come up with designs for water fountains for different sites across London.
The six studios, which also included Eric Parry Architects, ADAM Architecture and Allford Hall Monaghan Morris (AHMM), were asked to design water dispensing structures for sites in Kensington, Soho and on the South Bank.
Each fountain incorporates contemporary Turkish ceramics, referencing the Ottoman-inspired marble kiosks that could be found across Turkey during the seventeenth century.
The fountain by Zaha Hadid Architects features a large cantilevered canopy that extends up from the water collection pool.
"Traditional Ottoman fountain kiosks became meeting points, gathering places for a community to connect," said project architect Saffet Kaya Bekiroglu. "With large protective cantilevers, the fountains often include ceramic tiling and our proposal translates these characteristics to contemporary use within a design informed by the continuous loop of the water cycle."
Studio Weave's design comprises a series of colourful Watering Poles that can accommodate plants. Studio co-founder Maria Smith explained: "In marking points around the city from which free drinking water can be collected, the Watering Poles also create wayfinding markers and new informal gathering spots for London."
"Our kiosk aims to make the dispensing of water a celebrated urban event which will draw people together and add drama to the public realm in London," said Ken Hood of Hopkins.
- Izabela Bołoz's Intersections modules… interlock to form street furniture
- Smart Grid Gallery by Jaime Hayón
- Interactive slideshow: Nordic designer…s create furniture, lighting and accessories for Muuto
- Tom Dixon to unveil accessories with l…ive "factory" at Maison & Objet
- Nendo turns Alcantara material into ti…mber-patterned furniture
- Made in Italy talks: il Modo Italiano
- Change the Record by Paul Cocksedge
- Movie: Campana Brothers at GlassLab
- NYC gets first Grimshaw bus stop
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories