Paulo Kobylka created two sofa, PK1 and PK2, which have offset cushions and bases respectively that slot together to form an L-shaped design.
Both designs are upholstered in grey canvas and are separated it into three main sections: a horizontal base and seat, plus a low vertical back.
The two sofas are arranged so the cushion of the PK2 model fits over the corner of the PK1 so they form a continuous seat.
"The two parts can be used together when jointed at their ends, coming up with an L-shaped single unit," Kobylka explained. "The sofas received a grey canvas finishing that refers to structural parts of exposed concrete of buildings."
"The mismatches between the pieces generate small spaces to house furnishings," he added.
The sofa cushions are rigid enough to support a person's weight when they sit on the overhanging sections.
Photography is by Renan Klippel.
Here's a short description from Paulo Kobylka:
PK1 and PK2 sofa
The PK1 and PK2 sofas were designed by Brazilian architect Paulo Kobylka.
The inspiration comes from structural elements in concrete, found in architecture of buildings. The sofas are designed with simple lines, purely structural: the structure is exactly what shapes it.
As well as a suspended slab of a building, the PK1 sofa has part of its seat cantilevered. The sofas are basically assembled by three main volumes: base, seat and back. The "mismatches" between the pieces generate small spaces to house furnishings.
The two parts can be used together when jointed at their ends, coming up with an "L" shaped single unit. The sofas received a grey canvas finishing that refers to structural parts of exposed concrete of buildings.
- Kram Weisshaar show new chairs
- Aintree by Tomás Alonso at Vera, Chapte…r One
- Designs by Marcel Wanders and Studio Job… feature in Moooi's latest collection
- Afteroom Chair by Afteroom Studio
- Thomas Heatherwick new website
- Menu's homeware collection avoids "anyth…ing crazy coloured or hyper trendy"
- Bertha by Donna Wilson for SCP at MOST
- Primal Skin makeup collection designed f…or men by Annemiek van der Beek
- Ostrich Pillow Light by Kawamura-Ganjavi…an
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories