Barcelona designer Martin Azua has created a table that plays on the contrast in properties between wood and stone (+ slideshow).
The Trees and Rocks table features central discs of Venato Carrara marble set into a main frame of Spanish walnut, but future versions may feature different combinations of material.
"I wanted to make a table with two fine materials that are very attractive in themselves and don't need any kind of ornamentation because their surface are always different and full of information," said Azua. "The wood is warm and soft and the marble is cold and tough."
The marble also serves a practical function, creating a heat- and scratch-resistant section on the surface of the table.
Azua's latest creation is part of his Numbered collection, which features products created in collaboration with local craftsmen using local materials.
Each piece is designed to incorporate elements that can evolve and change naturally with time and use.
- Rick Owens pairs springy soles with leat…her for Adidas SS15 footwear
- Taste Condiment Set brings uniformity to… the dinner table
- Federico Babina's Archizoom transforms i…conic buildings into movie posters
- Underground Souvenirs by Maxim Velčovsk…ý for Mint
- Paizi 38 installation by reMIX Studio
- Momentary by Catarina Hällzon
- Alex Chinneck performs architectural "ma…gic trick" with Covent Garden building installation
- Lighting design classes at the Brandi In…stitute
- Gone With the Wind by Nika Zupanc
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories