"We have come to a point where we now have both a technology push and a consumer pull for wearable technology products and applications," said Luxottica CEO Andrea Guerra.
Google Glass lets users send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - this collaboration will put this technology in the hands of designers at Luxottica, which produces eyewear for brands including Ray-Ban and Oakley.
"We live in a world where technological innovation has dramatically changed the way in which we communicate and interact in everything that we do," said Guerra.
Recently a Google Glass user was attacked in a San Francisco bar for wearing the device.
Earlier this year the tech giant unveiled four designs for Google Glass frames to hold prescription lenses (main image).
- Bees could 3D-print "concrete honey" to …form architectural structures
- Clothes will shrink to fit "at the push …of a button" within five years
- Coming soon: driverless trains, planes a…nd automobiles
- Digital Natives by Matthew Plummer Ferna…ndez
- Integrating programming and design will …"totally change the world"
- Gaudi Stool by Studio Geenen
- i3 electric car by BMW
- Ken Nakagaki's Comppass draws simple sha…pes from digital files
- Telescopic contact lenses zoom in and ou…t with right and left winks
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories