"We have come to a point where we now have both a technology push and a consumer pull for wearable technology products and applications," said Luxottica CEO Andrea Guerra.
Google Glass lets users send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - this collaboration will put this technology in the hands of designers at Luxottica, which produces eyewear for brands including Ray-Ban and Oakley.
"We live in a world where technological innovation has dramatically changed the way in which we communicate and interact in everything that we do," said Guerra.
Recently a Google Glass user was attacked in a San Francisco bar for wearing the device.
Earlier this year the tech giant unveiled four designs for Google Glass frames to hold prescription lenses (main image).
- Yves Behar designs DNA testing machine
- Osmosis by Arik Levy
- Augmented reality devices "in your eye" …will change how we see the world
- Project DNA by Catherine Wales
- Brain scanning could be used to design "…scientifically perfect" products
- "In the future we might print not only b…uildings, but entire urban sections"
- Connected pedal protects bicycles from t…heft
- Genetic engineering will be "as accessib…le as 3D-printing" says DNA Vending Machine designer
- Creators of the AeroMobil flying car pro…pose moving road traffic to the skies
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories