"We have come to a point where we now have both a technology push and a consumer pull for wearable technology products and applications," said Luxottica CEO Andrea Guerra.
Google Glass lets users send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - this collaboration will put this technology in the hands of designers at Luxottica, which produces eyewear for brands including Ray-Ban and Oakley.
"We live in a world where technological innovation has dramatically changed the way in which we communicate and interact in everything that we do," said Guerra.
Recently a Google Glass user was attacked in a San Francisco bar for wearing the device.
Earlier this year the tech giant unveiled four designs for Google Glass frames to hold prescription lenses (main image).
- Connected pedal protects bicycles from t…heft
- Nike Vapor Laser Talon 3D printed footba…ll boot studs
- "I started my company with a completely …bogus business plan" - Janne Kyttanen
- Crystallization by Iris van Herpen, Dani…el Widrig and .MGX by Materialise
- Xkuty One electric bike by The Electric …Mobility Company
- Matthew Plummer-Fernandez to present "pe…rsonalised avatars for your vehicle"
- Augmented reality devices "in your eye" …will change how we see the world
- Naoto Fukasawa designs streamlined Infob…ar A03 smartphone for KDDI
- Yen Chen Chang's knitted sensors control… everyday electronic products
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories