"We have come to a point where we now have both a technology push and a consumer pull for wearable technology products and applications," said Luxottica CEO Andrea Guerra.
Google Glass lets users send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - this collaboration will put this technology in the hands of designers at Luxottica, which produces eyewear for brands including Ray-Ban and Oakley.
"We live in a world where technological innovation has dramatically changed the way in which we communicate and interact in everything that we do," said Guerra.
Recently a Google Glass user was attacked in a San Francisco bar for wearing the device.
Earlier this year the tech giant unveiled four designs for Google Glass frames to hold prescription lenses (main image).
- Yandex Saint Petersburg Office II by Za …Bor Architects
- Kano computer kit by MAP
- Google Glass was designed through "sketc…hing by hand" says lead designer
- Purple locket is a digital version of th…e traditional heirloom
- Pernilla Ohrstedt demonstrates how "our …world will be captured in digital form"
- Advances in virtual reality will "blur t…he line between what's virtual and what's real"
- 3D-printed sculptures create optical ill…usions using the Fibonacci sequence
- Dezeen Screen: The Solar Sinter by Marku…s Kayser
- Mycelium Chair by Eric Klarenbeek is 3D-…printed with living fungus
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories