"We have come to a point where we now have both a technology push and a consumer pull for wearable technology products and applications," said Luxottica CEO Andrea Guerra.
Google Glass lets users send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - this collaboration will put this technology in the hands of designers at Luxottica, which produces eyewear for brands including Ray-Ban and Oakley.
"We live in a world where technological innovation has dramatically changed the way in which we communicate and interact in everything that we do," said Guerra.
Recently a Google Glass user was attacked in a San Francisco bar for wearing the device.
Earlier this year the tech giant unveiled four designs for Google Glass frames to hold prescription lenses (main image).
- 15Folds presents augmented reality exhib…ition of animated gif art
- Springs 3D-printed glasses by Ron Arad f…or pq
- Pornhub's Wankband "creates dirty energy…"
- Francis Bitonti creates pixellated 3D-pr…inted shoes using cellular automation
- Ross Lovegrove designs 3D-printed gold j…ewellery
- French designers hack a 3D printer to ma…ke a tattooing machine
- Reality Mediators wearable technology by… Ling Tan punishes laziness
- "It's the first pair of glasses that is …one component"
- Project DNA by Catherine Wales
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories