"We have come to a point where we now have both a technology push and a consumer pull for wearable technology products and applications," said Luxottica CEO Andrea Guerra.
Google Glass lets users send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - this collaboration will put this technology in the hands of designers at Luxottica, which produces eyewear for brands including Ray-Ban and Oakley.
"We live in a world where technological innovation has dramatically changed the way in which we communicate and interact in everything that we do," said Guerra.
Recently a Google Glass user was attacked in a San Francisco bar for wearing the device.
Earlier this year the tech giant unveiled four designs for Google Glass frames to hold prescription lenses (main image).
- Advances in digital interfaces will lead… to a "new beginning in music"
- Biodegradable fishing nets could prevent… sea mammal deaths
- Escapism by Daniel Widrig, Iris van Herp…en and .MGX by Materialise
- Lucy McRae to vacuum-pack exhibition vis…itors to "prep the body to go to space"
- Voltage by Iris van Herpen with Neri Oxm…an and Julia Koerner
- "Smart" bicycle by Vanhawks gives direct…ions with flashing lights and vibrating safety alerts
- Whistle wearable technology for dogs let…s owners monitor pet activity
- Creators of the AeroMobil flying car pro…pose moving road traffic to the skies
- Cars of the future could evolve and muta…te "like biology"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories