Muuto's furniture, lighting and accessories have been created by designers from, or educated in, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. "We handpick the brightest design talent and give them the freedom to express their individual story through everyday objects," said Muuto.
The Danish brand is committed to expanding regional design traditions and holds an annual competition called the Muuto Talent Award for students from Nordic institutions, won this year by a versatile lamp by Tuomas Auvinen.
Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts graduate David Geckeler won the award in 2011 for his Nerd chair, which is now included in Muuto's collection. The chair is constructed from two laminated plywood shells that slot together without any metal fixings.
In 2010 the Muuto Talent Award went to the Pull floor lamp by Swedish design group Whatswhat, which has an exposed textile cord that can be pulled to adjust the position of the shade.
Well-known Scandinavian designers have also created furniture for Muuto. Danish studio Julien De Smedt Architects designed a shelving system that consists of rectangular shelves that clip together to form stacks.
Norwegian designers Anderssen & Voll have created two sofas: the Rest sofa that features soft rectangular cushions on a wooden frame and skinny oak legs, and the Connect sofa system, which is made up of eleven different curved modules.
A glass pendant lamp by Swedish design studio Claesson Koivisto Rune resembles a resting water droplet and a light by Stockholm-based Broberg & Ridderstråle is shaped like a single leaf at the end of a long stalk.
- Luca Nichetto combines Danish and Italia…n design for Cloud seating range
- The Snow by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Collection Wajima by Bouroullec Brothers
- Dezeen Platform: Touch the Sound
- Jaime Hayón says his Groninger Museum e…xhibition is full of "all kinds of crazy products"
- Moving Mondrian by Vladimír Ambroz
- Philippe Malouin experiments with Caesar…stone to create collection of planters
- Glass Elephant installation at Stockholm… Design Week
- Minimalux launches Hash grid shelving un…it
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories