Studio Job founders Job Smeets and Nynke Tynagel raided their archive and used existing drawings, icons, images and patterns to create unique nine-metre running compositions without any repetition, for the Archives wallpaper collection for NLXL.
The collection comprises seven designs: Industry, Labyrinth, Perished, Alt Deutsch, L’Afrique and Withered Flowers, which is available in both monochrome or colour. Made from a non-woven paper with a matte finish, each roll is nine metres by 48.7 centimetres.
"Can you imagine what it feels like to browse through the archives of Studio Job if you love art?" says Rick Vintage, founder of NLXL. "We felt like children before Christmas."
"This collaboration has brought NLXL to a whole new level. Job Smeets has created stunning sets for the promotional photos as well as our showroom in Milan during Salone del Mobile, so the Studio Job craftsmanship is present in every detail of this presentation," he added.
"The plain white wall behind a painting is an idea from modernism," said Smeets. "In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, it was not uncommon to present art on very ornamented silk wallpaper. But let me put it another way: with this wallpaper you no longer need any paintings. Viewed in this way, per running metre, it is relatively cheap art."
Archives will be at the NLXL Milan showroom during Milan Design Week from Monday 7 April to Sunday 13 April 2014, 10am – 9pm, at Via Savona 35, Milan.
- Cocoon-like suit helps protect against E…bola by peeling away to minimise contact
- Yulia Yadryshnikova bases capsule fashio…n collection on Luca Nichetto's sofa cover
- Color Reform Spectrum Edition by ABC Car…pet & Home
- Enchord table by Industrial Facility
- Silje Nesdal launches furniture collecti…on for compact living
- Car design and production could "start t…o show biological adaptation and mutation"
- "It's not what you'd expect a particle a…ccelerator to look like" - Chris Hatherill of Super/Collider
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Sivan Royz
- A Sign in Space by Gunilla Klingberg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories