Sculpted ash sections have been shaped using both hand carving and a numerically controlled milling machine.
The Bouroullec brothers combined these methods to create task seating that references ancient wood-carved furniture.
"Uncino is an almost primitive wooden chair collection," said the French design duo. "The chairs are composed by two or three pieces of numerically sculpted wood, which are held in place by simple metal rods."
Two variations of backrests – one squarish and one more rectangular – support the sitter. The chairs balance on spindly bent-steel rods, which also form the arms and hold up the wooden backrest.
Where they meet the wood, the rods are absorbed into gentle bumps in the surface. "The metal rods set the carved wooden pieces in an almost organic overlapping," the designers said.
Uncino collection includes natural wood or stained black finish options, and three and four-legged versions are available.
Photographs are by Gerhardt Kellermann.
- Dezeen Watch Store winter sale: get up t…o 30% off clearance lines
- Man Made Moon by Sam Jacob
- Catastrophe by Maxim Velcovsky
- Dezeen's London Design Festival audio gu…ide
- Richard Hutten designs combined conferen…ce and ping pong table
- Ex Libris by Chanan de Lange
- Phonofone II by Tristan Zimmermann
- Special edition ultra black MY03 Hacker …at Dezeen Watch Store
- Issue No.1 by Laetitia de Allegri and Ev…a Feldkamp
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories