Sculpted ash sections have been shaped using both hand carving and a numerically controlled milling machine.
The Bouroullec brothers combined these methods to create task seating that references ancient wood-carved furniture.
"Uncino is an almost primitive wooden chair collection," said the French design duo. "The chairs are composed by two or three pieces of numerically sculpted wood, which are held in place by simple metal rods."
Two variations of backrests – one squarish and one more rectangular – support the sitter. The chairs balance on spindly bent-steel rods, which also form the arms and hold up the wooden backrest.
Where they meet the wood, the rods are absorbed into gentle bumps in the surface. "The metal rods set the carved wooden pieces in an almost organic overlapping," the designers said.
Uncino collection includes natural wood or stained black finish options, and three and four-legged versions are available.
Photographs are by Gerhardt Kellermann.
- Fluidity & Design by Zaha Hadid
- Fabric Pen by Ingrida Kazenaite repairs …clothes without stitching
- Plastic Relics by Committee for Cibone E…ditions
- The Reflection Range by Kim Thome at Sho…w RCA 2012
- Nike Zvezdochka by Marc Newson
- Bono's Laser Stage Suit by Moritz Waldem…eyer
- Mass customisation "can be the future of… fashion," says Knyttan co-founder
- Feathers and plumage in fashion celebrat…ed at Antwerp exhibition
- Bags by Maam Project
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories