Japanese firm Kengo Kuma and Associates previously designed the Beijing and Shanghai stores for Shang Xia. For the brand's first retail space in Europe, the architects designed an interior covered in over 10,000 tiles that extends to a layered ceiling installation.
The studio chose rectangular tiles with a glossy surface to reflect light through the store, describing the material as having an edge "thin enough to pass through light".
"We used the same material for tiles to hang from the ceiling and cover the space," explained the studio. "Taking advantage of this glazed white surface that softly mirrors its environments, we set up a place like a cloud brimming with light."
The tiles also form a backdrop for the shopfront display windows, creating a screen that alternates between solid and void.
Located on a corner plot close to Boulevard Saint-Germain, the oval-shaped boutique showcases a range of furniture, homeware, accessories and clothing.
A tiled partition divides the store and is punctured by rectangular recesses, creating display spaces for jewellery. Tabletops and boxy stools are positioned in front, where customers can take a seat while trying on jewellery.
Glass-topped storage cases present a range of accessories, while more recessed shelving on the perimeter walls are filled with homeware items.
Scarves and shawls are tied to silver railings near the entrance and racks of clothing are set into the outer tiled walls, along with a selection of furniture. Polished wooden floors feature throughout.
The design has a similar aesthetic to Shang Xia's two stores in China. While the Beijing store contains a lattice of extruded aluminium sections, the Shanghai boutique features a faceted white interior.
- Little Chef by Ab Rogers Design
- MRQT Boutique by ROK
- Note Design Studio uses desert colours… in Stockholm bistro
- Bird motifs dotted through monochrome …Kiev apartment by Olena Yudina
- Pop-up store for Dr. Martens by FreshB…ritain and Campaign
- David Ben-Gurion's former home renovat…ed by Pitsou Kedem Architects
- Bien! Restaurant by Suite Arquitetos
- SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills by Philippe… Starck
- Waves of wood form staircase at SDM Ap…artment by Arquitectura en Movimiento Workshop
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories