Swiss studio Atelier Oï used oak lattice screens to recreate Pringle of Scotland's signature argyle pattern inside the knitwear brand's flagship Asian store, which has just opened in Chengdu, China (+ slideshow).
Atelier Oï wanted the 240 square metre store to reference the brand's Scottish heritage, which dates from 1815, and chose to integrate the diamond-shaped argyle pattern on various elements within the space.
Layers of glass and gun metal create overlapping diamonds in the shop window, while shelving, lights and other store fittings also feature the familiar shape.
"The architects have created a design that draws on their shared values with the Pringle of Scotland brand; a great appreciation of traditional craftsmanship, a tactile relationship with raw materials and a drive for technical innovation," said Pringle of Scotland in a statement.
The wooden lattice screens partially enclose a space in the centre of the store with shelving units fixed on the inside. Timber panelling covers the floor of the space, marking out a triangular area.
"The inspiration taken from the brand's Scottish heritage is evident in the use of materials; wood and stone are prevalent and reflect the distinctive landscapes of forest and woodland and dramatic rock formations that define the Scottish scenery where the brand was born," added the team.
Wooden shelving is suspended from criss-crossing wire cords on the side walls, alongside metal clothing racks for dresses, coats and shirts. Darker wooden shelving units on the lattices provide display space for folded jumpers.
A glass-topped cabinet displays accessories near the store's wooden counter and an angular cream sofa provides seating for customers. Large mirrors and dressed mannequins complete the interior.
The store opened on 16 April showcasing the men's and women's spring/summer 2014 collections.
- Spencer Hart flagship store by Shed and …Nick Hart
- Hotel made of ice contains a Frankenstei…n-themed room by Pinpin Studio
- Inside awards: TwoTwoSix Hollywood Road …by Studioilse
- MVRDV converts a chapel into an entrance… for the Stedelijk Museum Schiedam
- GreeM hair salon with artifical light an…d shadow by Takara Space Design
- Tord Boontje presents new Swarovski proj…ect
- Ahoti by Studio Lama
- WORKac shuns "office as playground" for …Wieden + Kennedy's NY headquarters
- Camper Store Malmö - The Shoe Testing F…acility by Note Design Studio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories