Fernando Amat, the designer of the first-ever Camper store, has designed a new boutique for the footwear brand in Palma de Mallorca, featuring boxy display units with mirrored edges (+ slideshow).
Barcelon-based Fernando Amat – who created the first Camper shop in 1981 and subsequently designed the Casa Camper hotels in Barcelona and Berlin – wanted the new store to be as functional as possible, but to also direct focus to the shoes.
"The idea is to highlight the product through a system of modules dramatised by dioramas, where the shoes are the protagonists and the brand's logo acts as the background," he said.
Customers navigate their way through a series of partitions and mirrored boxes with cut out sections that display the shoes. These can be reconfigured each season to suit different styles.
"The mise-en-scene is naturally reconfigured each season with the arrival of new collections and the accompanying visuals," explained Amat.
The ceiling is painted dark to direct customers' focus on the shoes. This is exaggerated by horizontal fluorescent tubes that hang over the side of the partitions.
"The dark ceiling helps to focus the view of the product on display and the customer can comfortably walk through the shop, like a museum, between the modules and the set of mirrors that broadens the perception of the space," added the designer.
The wooden floor partially extends up some of the walls, which are decorated with framed prints.
Steel tables offer additional display areas, while leather benches provide seating areas for customers.
Camper now has over 300 stores worldwide and has worked with various designers to develop unique interiors. Chinese architects Neri&Hu recently completed a Shanghai store, while Japanese studio Nendo has designed stores in America and Japan, and Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec created a Paris shop.
Photography is by Sanchez and Monotoro.
- Smolenka Apartment by Peter Kostelov
- Marni store Las Vegas by Sybarite
- Waves of wood form staircase at SDM Ap…artment by Arquitectura en Movimiento Workshop
- Obata Clinic by Hayato Komatsu Archite…cts
- Generator Berlin Mitte hostel by Ester… Bruzkus with Anwar Mekhayech and Mark Asipowicz
- House for Three Sisters by Drawing Not…es
- Temporary Bar by Diogo Aguiar and Tere…sa Otto
- Tord Boontje presents new Swarovski pr…oject
- Fiu Fiu Boutique by Mateusz Adamczyk a…nd Marcin Kwietowicz
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories