Royal College of Art graduate Sungsin Eo has designed a foam display and seating system for museums to present information to children in an engaging and playful way (+ movie).
The four pieces in the Exhibitions for Children collection by Sungsin Eo include display units for both multimedia screens and artefacts, and bench-like seating.
The pieces are made from recycled chipped foam and silicone, which is spray-painted in an ice-cream colour palette.
Related story: Foam dipped in rubber becomes seating by Jo Nagasaka
Eo looked into how London's iconic museums cater for the needs of children, then decided to concentrate on improving exhibition spaces and how children interact with exhibition material.
"I want to create interesting environments for children," she told Dezeen. "They are always active and curious - everything is worth exploring with all of their senses. London provides a wonderful resource within museums for children to learn and play."
Eo cuts the foam into the required shape, covers it with silicone or a sprayed primer and finally adds colours, selected from the palette already present with the chipped foam.
"I chose soft, tactile and robust materials to encourage young people to interact with the exhibition in a positive way," she said. "Children can experience this display system and play with the materials of exhibition furniture at the same time."
The weight and shape of the pieces enable easy transportation while the angles ensure displays can be clearly viewed from child-height.
Exhibitions for Children was on display as part of the Royal College of Art's Show RCA degree show in London last month.
- 100% Inspiration: Andrew Waugh
- Roofer by Benjamin Hubert for Fabbian
- Pregnant Chair by Trent Jansen for Moo…oi
- Fabrica and Modern Design Review curat…e installations at Ace Hotel Shoreditch
- Chandlo by Doshi Levien for BD Barcelo…na Design
- designjunction opens tomorrow
- Global Street Food by Mike Meiré for …Dornbracht
- Dutch designers collaborate for Low M…otion exhibition
- Simin Qiu turns wood offcuts into patt…erned desk accessories for End Grain collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories