Kieran Long is Senior Curator of Contemporary Architecture, Design and Digital at the Victoria & Albert Museum. Most of his career has been spent as a critic, writer and editor for a wide variety of publications about architecture. He was deputy editor Icon magazine, editor in chief of the Architects' Journal and the Architectural Review, and is currently the architecture critic for the Evening Standard newspaper.
Kieran presents Restoration Home and the forthcoming series The £100,000 House for the BBC and was principal assistant to David Chipperfield for the 2012 International Architecture Exhibition at the Venice Biennale.
Long’s books include Common Ground: A Critical Reader, which came out last year to coincide with the biennale. He has taught at the Royal College of Art, London Metropolitan University, Greenwich University and Kingston University, and an invited lecturer at Yale University, KTH Stockholm, the Canadian Centre for Architecture, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, the Swiss Architecture Forum, and many other universities and institutions in the UK.
Stories by Kieran Long
- "Elements makes you unutterably sad for …Koolhaas and what he thinks architecture is"
- "Design, fashion and architecture hold s…omething mysterious in the objects they produce"
- "There is without doubt institutional pr…ejudice in the furniture industry"
- "We cannot absolve ourselves of responsi…bility for the implications of a project"
- "London's fire station closures represen…t the inevitable carelessness of contemporary cities"
- "We must examine the human cost of objec…ts, not just their semiotic resonances"
- "The philanthropic causes of tech billio…naires tell us what tomorrow's design challenges will be"
- "Product design should do so much more t…han encourage consumption"
- "Sinister objects demand attention just …as much as beneficial ones"