Japanese designer Kimihiko Okada has created an installation called Another Geography at the Diesel Denim Gallery in Aoyama, Tokyo.
Made from thin metal suspended above the first floor of the shop, the installation is intended to reference familiar geographic forms as they might apear in a new, alien place.
The installation is the second in a series of three exhibitions at the Diesel Denim gallery. See our earlier story on the first installation, Suspended Figure, by Architect Ayako Murat.
Another Geography will be on display until 11 May 2008.
Here's some text from Okada:
Exhibition of Kimihiko Okada
at DIESEL DENIM GALLERY AOYAMA
This landscape is inspired by the versatile image the DIESEL brand inquires. This vast landscape is planned to express a surprise followed by good old feelings one might feel when entering a long known place.
Formed by a metal as thin as skin, it is a new natural scene never seen before. It may recall one’s imaginative scenery of a near future or the scenery of a planet far away. This scenery, it can be said, is a creation of human wisdom. And yet it somehow gives relief comparable with the feeling when entering a cave and this landscape will be a place that wakes up this instinct.
The shape formed by the internal force of material creates beauty and proportion like that of the natural terrain. The detail is like that of the geometry which appears in crystal and the brightness of metal itself.
- Modernatique by Hyung Suk Cho
- Beautiful Steps by Lang/Baumann
- Ronny by Daniel Böttcher for Formverlei…h at Dezeen Super Store
- Formafantasma combines crystal and coppe…r with ritualistic water purification range
- What Can You Bring to the Table by stude…nts from Lund University
- Cantilevered granite forms developed by …Zaha Hadid for CITCO shelving
- Honey bees can be trained to detect canc…er "in ten minutes" says designer
- Change! by BCXSY
- Naomi Kizhner's jewellery collection har…vests energy from the human body
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories