Japanese designer Kimihiko Okada has created an installation called Another Geography at the Diesel Denim Gallery in Aoyama, Tokyo.
Made from thin metal suspended above the first floor of the shop, the installation is intended to reference familiar geographic forms as they might apear in a new, alien place.
The installation is the second in a series of three exhibitions at the Diesel Denim gallery. See our earlier story on the first installation, Suspended Figure, by Architect Ayako Murat.
Another Geography will be on display until 11 May 2008.
Here's some text from Okada:
Exhibition of Kimihiko Okada
at DIESEL DENIM GALLERY AOYAMA
This landscape is inspired by the versatile image the DIESEL brand inquires. This vast landscape is planned to express a surprise followed by good old feelings one might feel when entering a long known place.
Formed by a metal as thin as skin, it is a new natural scene never seen before. It may recall one’s imaginative scenery of a near future or the scenery of a planet far away. This scenery, it can be said, is a creation of human wisdom. And yet it somehow gives relief comparable with the feeling when entering a cave and this landscape will be a place that wakes up this instinct.
The shape formed by the internal force of material creates beauty and proportion like that of the natural terrain. The detail is like that of the geometry which appears in crystal and the brightness of metal itself.
- Showtime by Tobias Rehberger and Claus R…ichter
- Something designs lamp for Ligne Roset t…o look like a bellflower
- Designed in Hackney: Tom Tom & Tam Tam b…y Konstantin Grcic for SCP
- Luminous red arches by LIKEarchitects in…stalled at Portuguese palace
- Flex silicone pots by Tomas Kral for Pra…xis
- Barber and Osgerby's Design Museum exhib…ition "could almost be called the aluminium show"
- Decouper Toile Collection and Bloody Hel…l by Timorous Beasties
- Katharina Gross adapts candle-making pro…cess to create wax tables
- 5mm launches collection of top-heavy tab…les
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories