Bass created an installation similar to his studio in the Netherlands and work on show included prototypes of Clay furniture and his original Smoke chair alongside pieces in development for Established & Sons (see our previous story).
More from Maarten Baas on Dezeen:
Here's some information from studio Baas & den Herder:
Maarten Baas showed his works at Via Voghera 8, in a place which is normally in use as a car repair centre. According to the New York Times "one of the liveliest and most talked-about satellite shows". The unconventional setting, completed by rare rock music, had similarities with the actual Baas & den Herder studio , where most designs are created (of which a catalogue was launched in this show as well).
The exhibition showed an overview of works on which Maarten Baas (in collaboration with his producer Bas den Herder) is currently working, such as The Chankley Bore for Established & Sons and wood carved objects for Contrasts gallery, supplemented with older pieces, like the original Smoke chair from 2002 and prototypes of Clay Furniture and "Hey, chair, be a bookshelf!".
While T-shirts and bags got screenprinted by the crew, people could play table football and have a drink. On laptops there were shown pictures of workshops which Maarten has given (for Vitra and the Design Academy) and special commissions for private clients.
Only a few people discovered the "VIP room": a giant transport crate with a table and chairs, originally made for a Dutch TV show. The multiplicity of things and the down-to-earth atmosphere made this show a unique experience in Milan for many visitors.
- Habitat's half century
- I Wanna Deliver A Dolphin... concept for… humans giving birth to their food by Ai Hasegawa
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: 40% off …Mutewatch
- BEN.NA by Damien Fredriksen Ravn
- Shading by Robert Stadler at Carpenters …Workshop Gallery
- Design studio Raw Edges "feels like part… of the Moroso family"
- Silje Nesdal launches furniture collecti…on for compact living
- Movie: The Self-Assembly Line by Skylar …Tibbits and Arthur Olson
- U.F.O at NRW-Forum Kultur und Wirtschaft
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories