London-based research and design company SolarLab is developing a solar-powered rickshaw.
The vehicle, which is due to be launched next year, will derive up to 75% of its power from photovoltaics mounted on its roof, and the rest from pedal power.
Here's some info from SolarLab:
As a London-based company, we understand the tangible effects of pollution and congestion in our city. Our solar rickshaw will offer a radical transport solution for tourists and residents of any major metropolis. More importantly, our design is modular enabling easy conversion to load-bearing vehicles for inner city logistics and supply-chain requirements.
We have a vision of reducing C02 emissions in London by up to 2 tons per rickshaw. The solar generator will create 75% of the total power need to drive the vehicle, while the remaining 25% will be provided by the drivers' pedal-power. The physical exertion needed will be dramatically less than that of even a standard bicycle, much less a traditional rickshaw, allowing any driver, not just athletes, to drive the vehicles.
- Haas Brothers and Monkeybiz dress Afre…aks monsters in colourful beads
- Cutting Edge sofa by Martijn Rigters c…ut from block of foam using hot wires
- Vika's modular bathroom range is desig…ned to create comfortable wash areas
- Fashion collection woven from Uruguaya…n wool by Mercedes Arocena and Lucía Benítez
- Mechanical Mirrors by Daniel Rozin rep…licate images using everyday objects
- Isola by Claesson Koivisto Rune for Ta…cchini
- Lighting collection by Zero
- Interview: Patrizia Moroso
- Hyperion Spotlight by Paul Heijnen
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories