Here are some photos of the pavilions and installations at the Giardini, one of the two main venues of the Venice Architecture Biennale which opened this weekend (see our photos of the installations at the Arsenale in our earlier story). Above: Swiss pavilion.
Above: Japanese pavilion - greenhouses by Junya Ishigami.
Above: the Estonians have installed an oil pipeline as their contribution.
Above: German pavilion.
Above: Swiss pavilion again.
Above: Interbreeding Field by Li H Lu.
Plants are a big theme this year. Above: vegetables at the US pavilion.
Above: Fantastic Norway caravan.
Above: installation by Ai Weiwei and Herzog de Meuron in the Italian pavilion - one of a series of installations by various architects, artists and designers under the heading Masters of the Experiment.
Above: the Belgian pavilion has confetti on the floor, and that's about all.
Above: the Italian pavilion (which no longer displays Italian architecture).
Above: Spanish pavilion.
Above: Shelter for God.
Above: the bridge on the route between the Giardini and the Arsenale.
Above: more Biennale branding on the Grand Canal.
- Duplex by Frank Gehry for Make it Right
- Cultural Center of European Space Techno…logies by OFIS, Bevk Perovic, Dekleva Gregoric and Sadar Vuga
- Mies van der Rohe Award 2007
- The High Line by James Corner Field Oper…ations and Diller Scofidio + Renfro
- Hypercubus by WG3
- House DE by Davidclovers
- House in the Woods by hayakawa/kowalczyk
- The Yorkshire Diamond Pavilion by Variou…s Architects
- Centrum Muziek XXI by Architecten van Mo…urik
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories