Here are some photos of the pavilions and installations at the Giardini, one of the two main venues of the Venice Architecture Biennale which opened this weekend (see our photos of the installations at the Arsenale in our earlier story). Above: Swiss pavilion.
Above: Japanese pavilion - greenhouses by Junya Ishigami.
Above: the Estonians have installed an oil pipeline as their contribution.
Above: German pavilion.
Above: Swiss pavilion again.
Above: Interbreeding Field by Li H Lu.
Plants are a big theme this year. Above: vegetables at the US pavilion.
Above: Fantastic Norway caravan.
Above: installation by Ai Weiwei and Herzog de Meuron in the Italian pavilion - one of a series of installations by various architects, artists and designers under the heading Masters of the Experiment.
Above: the Belgian pavilion has confetti on the floor, and that's about all.
Above: the Italian pavilion (which no longer displays Italian architecture).
Above: Spanish pavilion.
Above: Shelter for God.
Above: the bridge on the route between the Giardini and the Arsenale.
Above: more Biennale branding on the Grand Canal.
- Tadao Ando and Annabelle Selldorf transf…orm Clark Art Institute in Massachusetts
- Gue(ho)st House by Berdaguer & Péjus
- Peter Barber uses a "collage of material…s" in hostel for homeless people
- Hundreds of cubes front Julien De Smedt'…s Gangnam housing block
- EDF Archives Centre by LAN Architecture
- House in Yamakawa by Horibe Associates
- Cedarvale Ravine House by Drew Mandel Ar…chitects
- Zaha Hadid at IMM Cologne
- 55 Blair Road by ONG&ONG
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories