DMY Berlin 09: Utrecht designer Anneke Jakobs has sliced up a kitchen chair to make 1727 buttons that will be distributed around the world.
The buttons are numbered, labeled with their position in the chair and photographed, then sold through the project website.
"Bit by bit my home will be carried into the world so the world will become more my home," says Jakobs.
Destinations of the sold buttons and their new owners are also recorded on the website.
Domestic Making was an exhibition of work by students of the Applied Art department at the Sandberg Institute, where Jakobs currently studies.
See all our stories from DMY Berlin 09 in our special category.
Here's some more information from Jakobs:
I found an old chair by the side of the road, just a block away from my house. I decided to take it home, where it got it's own steady place. It was used where it was made for and it became part of my home.
The meaning of a button refers to closure in most cases. But the closing function can also be a connection at the same time.
Every button is unique, individually determined with it's location in the chair, a number, a thread and a label.
You can buy a button. In this way you allow me to enter your world. The spreading goes throughout the internet so it will be carried into the world by as many people as possible. And bit by bit the world can be my home.
As the owner of this chair I concentrated myself as a designer on the emotional meaning.
The transformation of the chair into 1727 unique buttons to connect them to as many people as possible. Bit by bit my home will be carried into the world so the world will become more my home.
U can buy a button on www.thuisvlucht.nl On this website you get registered and follow the connection process to other fellow-buttonowners.
- Floating skateboard ramp installed on La…ke Tahoe for pro-skater Bob Burnquist
- Aalto University students design chairs …from bright blue plywood
- SOFTlab installs colourful funneled cano…py in Melissa shoe shop
- Untreated brass creates contrast in Dani…el Schofield's Tarnish tableware collection
- Misoka toothbrush cleans your teeth with… nanotech ions instead of toothpaste
- Studio Glithero at Craft Punk
- Hybrids have "changed the constraints" o…f car design says head of BMW i
- rAndom International at Spazio Krizia
- Sometimes by Denis Guidone at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories