Here are a couple of images of SuperFoam Chair, a chair made of foam with giant bubbles by designer Rich Gilbert.
See a video of Gilbert making the chair on his website. Here's some more info from Gilbert:
I'm currently studying Industrial Design Engineering at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College London and recently produced the SuperFoam chair.
SuperFoam is an experiment in trying to create a super-sized foamed structure, in developing a specialized casting process I could design the properties of the foam itself so it flexed and deformed to create the chair structure.
What if we had the power to manipulate nature’s structures? SuperFoam is a re-creation of naturally occurring reticulated foam structures through a casting process that facilitates designing the properties of the foam itself. By developing the casting process the properties of the foam could be controlled so the chair flexed and deformed to create a supportive structure.
- Illum camera creates interactive photogr…aphs that users can re-focus after shooting
- Braun BN0024 now available at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- LED table lamp by Michael Young for Wäs…tberg
- Lantern by Mathias Hahn for Ligne Roset
- Clamped Stools by Daniel Glazman
- History Chess by Boym Partners
- "With too many contemporary watches you …can't tell what time it is" - Tom Dixon
- Two Way reversible sunglasses by HAiK an…d Kaibosh
- The Back Room by Studio Toogood
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories