Here are a couple of images of SuperFoam Chair, a chair made of foam with giant bubbles by designer Rich Gilbert.
See a video of Gilbert making the chair on his website. Here's some more info from Gilbert:
I'm currently studying Industrial Design Engineering at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College London and recently produced the SuperFoam chair.
SuperFoam is an experiment in trying to create a super-sized foamed structure, in developing a specialized casting process I could design the properties of the foam itself so it flexed and deformed to create the chair structure.
What if we had the power to manipulate nature’s structures? SuperFoam is a re-creation of naturally occurring reticulated foam structures through a casting process that facilitates designing the properties of the foam itself. By developing the casting process the properties of the foam could be controlled so the chair flexed and deformed to create a supportive structure.
- Mossa Chair by Simone Simonelli for Prom…osedia
- Blown-glass sex toys form Adult Tool Kit… by Michael Reynolds and Jeff Zimmerman
- "Everybody could have their body scanned… and order clothes that fit perfectly"
- One Handed Condom Wrapper by Ben Pawle
- Dyslexic Objects win New Designer of the… Year Award 2013
- Castor by Big-Game for Karimoku New Stan…dard
- Zai HIGO tools by Kacper Hamilton
- A Quiet Celebration by Morie Nishimura
- Artek revives Alvar Aalto products for l…atest furniture collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories