Here are a couple of images of SuperFoam Chair, a chair made of foam with giant bubbles by designer Rich Gilbert.
See a video of Gilbert making the chair on his website. Here's some more info from Gilbert:
I'm currently studying Industrial Design Engineering at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College London and recently produced the SuperFoam chair.
SuperFoam is an experiment in trying to create a super-sized foamed structure, in developing a specialized casting process I could design the properties of the foam itself so it flexed and deformed to create the chair structure.
What if we had the power to manipulate nature’s structures? SuperFoam is a re-creation of naturally occurring reticulated foam structures through a casting process that facilitates designing the properties of the foam itself. By developing the casting process the properties of the foam could be controlled so the chair flexed and deformed to create a supportive structure.
- The r5.5 Platinum Chronograph by Jasper …Morrison for Rado
- Antenna Lights by Adrien Rovero
- Hyde Candlesticks by Pete Oyler for Asse…mbly
- Musician Gergely Bogányi offers a curva…ceous take on the traditional grand piano
- Ontwerpduo bases Fairytale Furniture col…lection on fantasy stories
- Slant shelving by Haldane Martin
- Kink by Osko+Deichmann
- England Home Kit by Peter Saville for Um…bro
- Carat by Arihiro Miyake
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories