Called Sparkling chair, the product is made of transparent plastic for Italian manufacturers Magis.
After the moulding process, the hollow spaces are filled with high pressure air to strengthen the design.
See all our stories about Milan 2010 in our special category.
The following information is from the designer:
It has been prophesized, “Mankind will find its future floating on the breath of little children.” They will blow air into the world like the world breathes life into the living. They will celebrate their birthdays with insatiable appetites...as only children can. They will fill their lungs with the most precious of all elements, air, and instead of blowing out their candles, they will exhale with mechanical force filling a form with their breath – freezing it in weightlessness.
One day we will be able to understand and use all powers this planet gives to us. We will understand what the true nature of nature is. We will find the beauty in the seemingly contradictory nature of the elements. We will see the softness of iron, the lightness of stone, the power and strength of air.
I give you Sparkling as a name, not to make a reference to sparkling waters, nor sparkling sunrays on your skin, I name you Sparkling because inside you there is a little star, a little large light, a glow in the dark, a direction and a destination, for us to follow.
The Sparkling Chair is made out of PET and produced using the same blow molding technique commonly used for bottles of water. After blow molding the legs and seat, the hollow space is filled with high pressure air which creates very strong and structural components.
With this technique the plastic usage is minimal and the total weight of the chair is only around 1kg. Finally the legs are screwed onto the shell. It’s as easy as drinking a glass of water.
ITEM: Magis Sparkling
PRODUCT NAME: Sparkling
COLOUR: Transparent Green
Designer & Year of Design: Marcel Wanders, 2010
STOCKIST DETAILS: Magis
MATERIAL: PET Plastic
WIDTH: 42.3 cm
HEIGHT: 77.6 cm
DEPTH: 49.0 cm
- Heavy Metal at the Woodstock Foundry
- Unicorn chases its horn in Tomek Ducki's… animation for Basement Jaxx
- Wooden stool with a gaping mouth stores …a magazine within its seat
- Two Way reversible sunglasses by HAiK an…d Kaibosh
- "An era is drawing to an end for Italian… design"
- Aluminium and timber light shades by Nic…k Sadowsky use gravity to maintain shape
- Leo, Houdini, Eugene and Dash by Stefan …Diez
- Architect silhouettes pose inside iconic… windows for Federico Babina's Archiwindow series
- Konstantin Grcic presents his vision of …the future at Vitra Design Museum solo show
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories