TDO Architecture have created this doll's house with ramps linking all floors together.
Called A Doll's House for Clementine, the design was based on the principles of Le Corbusier's famed Villa Savoye, completed in 1929.
When closed the piece is lit from within to form ambient lighting.
The project was commissioned by Wallpaper* magazine.
Here are some more details from TDO Architecture:
A Doll's House for Clementine
Most Doll's Houses are adapted versions of real buildings, which become compromised as a result of reduction. When TDO were asked by Wallpaper* to design a contemporary Doll's House, they re-approached the design by understanding the parameters of what makes both a functional Doll's House and an imagined full scale proposition.
TDO were asked to consider the Villa Savoye as their starting point. As Doll's Houses are played with from the front TDO identified that the modernist 'free plan' needed to be converted to a 'free section' to allow for interaction with all areas. For this reason TDO designed the House vertically. Efficient floor plates borrow space from a shared central volume. This allows light to flood through the core of the building and gives deep cross level views.
Ramps traverse the internal surface of the facade and form the building's lattice structure. When the facade is opened the ramps pivot out of the way revealing a workable miniature building and a concept for designing buildings volumetrically.
When closed the doll's house is a piece of furniture. A lamp glowing quietly in the corner, the translucent facade hinting at the fun within.
|The House of
Viktor & Rolf
|When I Was Small by
- Fungi Mutarium turns waste plastic into …edible treats
- Formafantasma experiment with lava to cr…eate furniture collection
- Attic by Studio Chad Wright
- One laptop per artist: OLPC charity auct…ion
- Jean Louis Iratzoki designs "first biopl…astic chair"
- Lloyd Table by Christoph Seyferth
- Studio Nienke Hoogvliet uses algae yarn …to create Sea Me rug
- Boom Boom speaker by Mathieu Lehanneur h…as 20 faces
- Zaha Hadid, Ben van Berkel and more desi…gn 3D-printed shoes for United Nude
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories