The title of the product, called Third, refers to the way designer, manufacturer and consumer must each do one third of the required work to create the chair.
The piece forms part of E&Y's new collection entitled Edition Horizontal.
The information below is from Lamb:
[ third ] design by Max Lamb
For edition HORIZONTAL / E&Y
This is a 33/33/33 project, where the designer and manufacturer constructing all the components, and the consumer assembling the chair at home, are equally involved in the completion of the piece.
People used to be much more resourceful, but nowadays we have become lazy, less confident, or even lost the practical knowledge entirely. This is very sad.
I would like to encourage people to re-discover their ability for building furniture and regain the confidence to work with tools. Giving the consumer a certain volume of responsibility, is for them to regain confidence. “third” is a project reflecting these ideas.
material : spf
size : W.380 x D.525 x H.794
manufacturer : E&Y
release : winter, 2010
edition HORIZONTAL / E&Y
A multiple is an object. An object meaning something. Objects inherit their true values, meanings, and often provide mental satisfaction when taken in one's hand. Without prioritizing function, to give the joy to possess, by creating an object appealing to one's inner depth.
And to give a view, a horizon, where various people and objects are connected side by side. "edition HORIZONTAL" is a new collection and an announcement made by E&Y in collaboration with various designers.
|Anodised table by Max Lamb
|Sedia 1 – Chair
by Enzo Mari
|2440×1220, Saw, Assemble
by Pål Rodenius
- Dezeen podcast: ExperimentaDesign 09
- Punkt. DP 01 by Jasper Morrison
- Design Indaba videos: Stephen Burks
- Bench Years by Established & Sons at the… V&A museum
- Sarah Lucas uses concrete breeze blocks …to create first furniture range
- The Last Laugh by William Andrews for Mr… Jones Watches at Dezeen Watch Store
- ID Chair Concept by Antonio Citterio for… Vitra
- The r5.5 Platinum Chronograph by Jasper …Morrison for Rado
- Folding Techniques for Designers: basic …pleats
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories