Norwegian architects RRA have completed this wood-clad nursery school in Oslo, Norway.
Called Fagerborg Kindergarten, the project features four classrooms that can either be combined or operate separately.
One end of the building is undercut and cantilevers out to shelter the entrances below.
The interior is clad in wood with colourful staircases leading to administrative areas on the upper floors.
The information that follows is from the architects:
RRA has been involved in designing a new kindergarten for Fagerborg Congregation in central Oslo. The kindergarten offers 2 units for children between 1-3 years old and 2 units for children between 3-6 years old.
Gross building area is around 1000m2.
There are many cultural heritage guidelines to be considered in the project site. The area is characterised by residential buildings from 1900-1950. As a requirement from the local authority, the kindergarten is to have a contemporary expression.
With its location in the middle of a small city park, the kindergarten has an outdoor area that is protected like an enclosed garden.
The planning solution enables the 4 kindergarten units to function both independently and together as required. All units share a common area and a kitchen in the heart of the building. Administration is placed on the upper floor separate from children areas.
Location: Fagerborg, Oslo
Client: Fagerborg Congregation
Size: 1000 m2
Commission type: Direct commission (2003)
|Tellus Nursery School
by Tham & Videgård
|Kindergarten Sighartstein by
|Kindergarten in Granada by
Solinas + Verd Arquitectos
- Summer house on stilts by Mats Fahlander… nestles into the landscape of a Swedish fjord
- The Hepworth Wakefield by David Chipperf…ield Architects
- Tokyo house by Atelier Tekuto with skyli…ght designed to "frame the sky"
- Office interior by Tsubasa Iwahashi brin…gs the outside in with hanging baskets and a shed
- Studio Gang's Chicago boathouse designed… to echo the rhythms of rowing
- PARKROYAL on Pickering by WOHA
- Dacha's Origami by Peter Kostelov
- Cairo Expo City by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Chateau Barde-Haut by Nadau Lavergne
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories