The Foldboat comes in two versions that either collapse into a portable parcel or flatten for easy storage.
Each is equipped with a pair of oars made from ash with plastic blades, plus waterproof, floating cushions that can users can cling onto if the boat should capsize.
The information below is from Frommeld and Mathies:
Foldboat is a rowing boat made from a standard sized sheet of plastic. By manipulating the material, we have created live hinges allowing you to fold and un-fold the plastic sheet into the shape of a boat.
Currently two versions of Foldboat exist, made using the live-hinge principle. Version one is designed to fold into a small parcel of 1m50 x 60cm, targeted at users who have limited storage space, particularly in urban environments. Version two does not fold into a transport pack and instead remains in a flat sheet of 2m50 x 1m50. Boat 2 is designed for boat renting companies or NGO's in the case of flood hazards. Both boats require 2 minutes to be assembled by two people.
For ‘Multiplex at The Dock’ event hosted by Tom Dixon, we have created 5 bespoke and exclusive boats named ‘The Dock Edition’ that uses Boat 2 as a base.
The boats are available for sale and are equipped with a pair of oars (ash + plastic used for boat) and a pair of waterproof pillows for comfort and safety purposes (pillows are water tight and float).
- Vita interactive by Massimo Mariani
- Cabaret Voltaire by Designliga
- Blaue Blume by Undergrowth Design at The… Temporium
- Thomas Heatherwick beach cafe takes shap…e
- Designer cakes by Viktor & Rolf, Studio …Job and more served up during Design Miami
- Wind Portal by Najla El Zein at the V&A
- Self Expiring packaging by Kanupriya and… Gautam Goel
- °XXXLamp by Bart Lens
- Stud Chair by Hyung Suk Cho
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories