Milan 2012: in this interview filmed at Dezeen Studio, Guardian critic Justin McGuirk gives us his take on the future of design criticism, as fast reactions on platforms like Twitter and Facebook are balanced by long-form analysis in e-books and online journals.
He goes on to discuss how the fetishisation of traditional crafts by mass-producers is pushing design in a new direction and agrees with previous guest journalist Joseph Grima that the arrival of hacking culture and open-source production is the big story in Milan this year, describing it as the antithesis to the luxury design industry that the city normally centres around.
We published an abridged version of this interview in our Thursday TV show (below).
- Alain Gilles' extendable Tracks Table re…veals its inner workings
- Drop umbrella by Ayca Dundar is made of …just six parts
- Sugru pop-up and giveaway at 13:00 this …Sunday at Dezeen Space
- Rattan backrest curves around Hiroomi Ta…hara's Wrap sofa
- Design made of animal products on show i…n Formafantasma exhibition
- Folio Staircase by Disguincio & Co
- Corpus 2.0 by Marcia Nolte
- WhiteKnightTwo by Virgin Galactic
- Oki Sato on Nendo's Growing Vases
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories