Milan 2012: in this interview filmed at Dezeen Studio, Guardian critic Justin McGuirk gives us his take on the future of design criticism, as fast reactions on platforms like Twitter and Facebook are balanced by long-form analysis in e-books and online journals.
He goes on to discuss how the fetishisation of traditional crafts by mass-producers is pushing design in a new direction and agrees with previous guest journalist Joseph Grima that the arrival of hacking culture and open-source production is the big story in Milan this year, describing it as the antithesis to the luxury design industry that the city normally centres around.
We published an abridged version of this interview in our Thursday TV show (below).
- Peak Oil by Charlie Davidson
- Inserper-able by Rolf Sachs
- Noose light by Ana-Maria Pasescu Stewart
- Stepney Green Design Collection: what is… special about East London?
- Established & Sons in Milan 2010
- BN0035 by Braun now available at Dezeen …Watch Store
- The Yachiyo metal rug by Philippe Maloui…n
- Dezeen Platform: Stewy
- Rubber Stool by h220430
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories