Slideshow: Spain's economy may be in tatters but that hasn't stopped it opening a raft of impressive public buildings in towns, cities and even remote villages over the past year. Amid bailouts and claims that extravagant architectural projects have helped cause the problems, here's a celebration of more modest projects from Spain such as museums, town halls, markets, auditoriums, bridges and even railway control centres featured on Dezeen recently.
Update 15/06/12: this story was originally titled "how Spain spent its money." We changed it in response to feedback from readers (see comments section below) who felt we were blaming the projects featured for the country's current economic problems, which was not our intention.
- Ladderstile House by Threefold Architect…s
- Renovation Bruges by Room & Room
- The World Design Capital Helsinki 2012 P…avilion by Aalto University Wood Studio students
- Geometric shapes puncture facade of Hous…e in Fukai by Horibe Associates
- Yamazaki Kentaro's Unfinished House offe…rs little privacy to residents
- São Paulo warehouse revamped into Red B…ull arts centre by Triptyque
- Shelter of Nostalgia by Worapong Manupip…atpong
- Casa Paracaima by DCPP Arquitectos
- Treehouse Solling raised above an artifi…cial lake on stilts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories