Slideshow: Spain's economy may be in tatters but that hasn't stopped it opening a raft of impressive public buildings in towns, cities and even remote villages over the past year. Amid bailouts and claims that extravagant architectural projects have helped cause the problems, here's a celebration of more modest projects from Spain such as museums, town halls, markets, auditoriums, bridges and even railway control centres featured on Dezeen recently.
Update 15/06/12: this story was originally titled "how Spain spent its money." We changed it in response to feedback from readers (see comments section below) who felt we were blaming the projects featured for the country's current economic problems, which was not our intention.
- Architectural Drawings by Daniel Libeski…nd at Ermanno Tedeschi Gallery
- Huaxi city centre by MAD and others
- Bibliothek Luckenwalde by FF Architekten… and Martina Wronna
- Movie: Hayrack Apartments by OFIS Arhite…kti
- Rossio railway station by Broadway Malya…n
- Villa 921 by Harunatsu-Archi
- Blackened timber house by Harunatsu-Arch… is divided by a stepped floor
- Maison Beauvallon by Raphaëlle Segond
- Movie: The Symbiotic Office by Richard B…lack
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories