"The lamp uses a soft wash of white to reflect the main light source," says Buckley. "When I designed it I was really obsessed with reflective light and how it could be used in an everyday functional setting but in a way that was subtle and beautiful."
A friction hinge means it can be adjusted to cast light over a workspace or up into the room.
Buckley developed the Empty Light while studying on the college's Design Products course and presented the prototype at Show RCA 2012 last month. It's the first in a range that will include a floor-standing light and a pendant light.
Watch a tour of the Design Products graduate show with course leader Tord Boontje here or above.
- Primal Skin makeup collection designed f…or men by Annemiek van der Beek
- Studio Swine extends collection of produ…cts made from hair
- Iconico by Héctor Serrano for Lexon
- "Customers grow old with our shoes, not …bored with them" - Tracey Neuls
- The Aram Gallery showcases seven new des…igners in Future Stars? exhibition
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: 20% off …Orbit by Ziiiro
- Trush In by Arihiro Miyake
- 100% Inspiration: Nina Tolstrup
- Rolf Sachs at Selfridges
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories