"The lamp uses a soft wash of white to reflect the main light source," says Buckley. "When I designed it I was really obsessed with reflective light and how it could be used in an everyday functional setting but in a way that was subtle and beautiful."
A friction hinge means it can be adjusted to cast light over a workspace or up into the room.
Buckley developed the Empty Light while studying on the college's Design Products course and presented the prototype at Show RCA 2012 last month. It's the first in a range that will include a floor-standing light and a pendant light.
Watch a tour of the Design Products graduate show with course leader Tord Boontje here or above.
- Benjamin Hubert's WW Carafe features a… steel aerator to improve wine's flavour
- DTILE by Peter van der Jagt, Erik Jan …Kwakkel and Arnout Visser
- Open-source visual identity for Eindho…ven by Virtual Design Agency
- Cipria by Fernando and Humberto Campan…a for Edra
- Facette watch by KiBiSi for Bulbul arr…ives at Dezeen Watch Store
- Lamp Love by Klára Šumová
- I Wanna Deliver A Dolphin... concept f…or humans giving birth to their food by Ai Hasegawa
- Ruhrsteine by Formfjord
- Patricia Urquiola's Salinas kitchen sy…stem for Boffi hides wires and pipes
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories