"The lamp uses a soft wash of white to reflect the main light source," says Buckley. "When I designed it I was really obsessed with reflective light and how it could be used in an everyday functional setting but in a way that was subtle and beautiful."
A friction hinge means it can be adjusted to cast light over a workspace or up into the room.
Buckley developed the Empty Light while studying on the college's Design Products course and presented the prototype at Show RCA 2012 last month. It's the first in a range that will include a floor-standing light and a pendant light.
Watch a tour of the Design Products graduate show with course leader Tord Boontje here or above.
- Toilet paper tube converted into 3D-prin…ted pen holder by Aleksandar Dimitrov
- Daphne by 24° Studio
- Losanges by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
- Dynasty Revival by Lane Crawford
- Authentic Wood by Le Corbusier at Cassin…a
- United Nude's Float shoes are created on… a desktop 3D printer
- New Mexico spaceport by Foster
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Clinton Sheldo…n
- Artificial flowers by Hella Jongerius
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories