"The lamp uses a soft wash of white to reflect the main light source," says Buckley. "When I designed it I was really obsessed with reflective light and how it could be used in an everyday functional setting but in a way that was subtle and beautiful."
A friction hinge means it can be adjusted to cast light over a workspace or up into the room.
Buckley developed the Empty Light while studying on the college's Design Products course and presented the prototype at Show RCA 2012 last month. It's the first in a range that will include a floor-standing light and a pendant light.
Watch a tour of the Design Products graduate show with course leader Tord Boontje here or above.
- Heroes at Křehký Gallery
- Hand-blown light bulbs by Dylan Kehde Ro…elofs
- Super Contemporary interviews: Nicolas R…oope
- Mercedes designs G-Code concept car to r…educe emissions in China's smog-filled cities
- Waldemeyer/Chalayan update
- Nomu by Lee West for Eno
- Endless by Dirk Vander Kooij at DMY Berl…in
- Work Sofa by Studio Makkink & Bey
- Ceramic Speaker by Nendo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories