"The lamp uses a soft wash of white to reflect the main light source," says Buckley. "When I designed it I was really obsessed with reflective light and how it could be used in an everyday functional setting but in a way that was subtle and beautiful."
A friction hinge means it can be adjusted to cast light over a workspace or up into the room.
Buckley developed the Empty Light while studying on the college's Design Products course and presented the prototype at Show RCA 2012 last month. It's the first in a range that will include a floor-standing light and a pendant light.
Watch a tour of the Design Products graduate show with course leader Tord Boontje here or above.
- RGB Vases – P242 by Oscar Diaz
- N-Light Membrane by Numen/For Use contai…ns an infinite grid of light
- Ads with a New Purpose by Ogilvy & Mathe…r for IBM
- The Imperfectionist by Sophie Duran
- Sebastian Bergne's Hot Milk Lab encourag…es flavour experiments
- Two Way reversible sunglasses by HAiK an…d Kaibosh
- Cradle by Benjamin Hubert for Moroso
- Sebastian Herkner's Collar Lamp pairs ha…nd-blown glass with a spun aluminium shade
- Nomadic Furniture by Jorge Penadés
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories