London Design Festival: these spinning 'light paintings' made with sparkling crystal beads by designer Philippe Malouin are currently on show in the Digital Crystal exhibition at London's Design Museum (+ movie + slideshow).
"Blur is a series of ‘paintings’ realised through light and motion," Malouin told Dezeen, explaining that they were made by attaching rows of colourful Swarovski crystal beads to a motor that spins at high speeds.
"The circles shimmer because LEDs shine light at them, while variations in the speed of rotation affect the colour intensity," he added.
Like the other pieces in the exhibition, Blur explores the idea of memory in an increasingly digital world.
Malouin says the piece alludes to memory through the "transformation from its solid state to its accelerated state," as it retains the memory of its simple underlying design while transforming it through movement. "It doesn't always spin – it's programmed to reveal its different states," he adds.
Digital Crystal continues until 13 January 2013. We recently featured another installation from the exhibition – a mechanical projector by London design studio Troika.
Malouin is also taking part in Seven Designers for Seven Dials, an aerial installation in Covent Garden curated by Dezeen that will be on show throughout London Design Festival, which takes place between 14–23 September.
Photographs are by David Levene.
Above: movie interview with Philippe Malouin filmed by the Design Museum
Philippe Malouin will be speaking on Friday 21 September at Dezeen Live, our series of live daily shows featuring talks with designers and critics during the 100% Design trade fair at Earls Court, west London.
- Merel Witteman's Aversive Aesthetics pho…tos are designed to trigger disgust
- Dezeentalks at [D3] Design Talents: Gabr…ielle Ammann
- Light Shadows by Zero and Orrefors Kosta… Boda
- B60 Sloop by John Pawson and Luca Brenta
- Multi-Touch Gestures by Gabriele Meldaik…yte
- HSBC Private Bank Lounge by Campana Brot…hers
- Headless rooftop chickens by Rootoftwo r…espond to internet panic levels
- Wrong Shop Editions at twentytwentyone
- Chris Martin's sofa system for Massprodu…ctions zigzags around corners
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories