Big Ben is a giant decorative wall clock based on the ornate clock face of the famous landmark, which was recently renamed the Elizabeth Tower.
"Clocks are by now probably the most non-functional object," said Wanders, suggesting how easy it is to find out the time from our phones, watches and computer screens.
"Because [the clock] doesn't have any function anymore, it has a very decorative aspect," he told Dezeen.
Movie: Big Ben by Marcel Wanders
Dezeen's London Design Festival map
The map above is taken from Dezeen’s guide to the London Design Festival, which lists all the events going on across the city this week. We’ll be updating it over the coming days with extra information on our highlights so keep checking back. Explore the larger version of this map here.
- Jakub Pollág designs Personal Tattoo …Machine for do-it-yourself body art
- Yohji Yamamoto at the V&A
- Ettore Sottsass 1917-2007
- Passing Cloud by Tiago Barros
- Sport Plates by Boguslaw Sliwinski
- SIRE glasses by Aekae
- Arctic Collection by Jens Praet and Vi…beke Skar
- AERO designs wooden bicycle frame to e…xplore techniques for architecture
- Audi showcases Prologue concept car in… Miami
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories