Big Ben is a giant decorative wall clock based on the ornate clock face of the famous landmark, which was recently renamed the Elizabeth Tower.
"Clocks are by now probably the most non-functional object," said Wanders, suggesting how easy it is to find out the time from our phones, watches and computer screens.
"Because [the clock] doesn't have any function anymore, it has a very decorative aspect," he told Dezeen.
Movie: Big Ben by Marcel Wanders
Dezeen's London Design Festival map
The map above is taken from Dezeen’s guide to the London Design Festival, which lists all the events going on across the city this week. We’ll be updating it over the coming days with extra information on our highlights so keep checking back. Explore the larger version of this map here.
- Z.BOX by Zaha Hadid
- Species of Illumination interactive ligh…ts go in search of humans and dark spots
- Soft Rocker by Committee for SCP
- Luminous ceilings and carpets will becom…e commonplace, says lead designer at Philips
- Podcast interview: Deyan Sudjic
- New VOID finishes at Dezeen Watch Store
- Concept Kitchen by Kilian Schindler for …Naber
- Basket by Marco Dessí for Lobmeyr
- Sibling's wifi-blocking ON/OFF installat…ion creates a disconnected "cold spot"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories