Product news: this chair by Milan design studio Skrivo features layers of thin cushions based on children's story The Princess and the Pea.
The Stack chair by Skrivo for Italian brand Contempo Italia was inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, in which a princess proves her royal status because she's sensitive enough to be disturbed by a pea in her bed despite many layers of mattresses.
"The concept behind the Stack easy chair comes from the idea of having cushions in constant motion that look like they have been stacked randomly on top of each other," says Skrivo.
The overlapping cushions can be mixed and matched in a wide variety of fabrics and leathers. "The cheerful effect of the overlapping upholstered cushions that sit on a metal frame conveys the idea of stability, comfort and aesthetic delightfulness reminiscent of childhood memories," the designers explain.
The backrest is bolted to two upright metal tubes in a contrasting colour, which bend and slot through four wooden legs to create side rails under the seat.
Other mattress-inspired seating on Dezeen includes a collection of sofas based on nomadic Bedouin furniture, a sofa that looks like a rolled-up mattress and another sofa that's been folded in a concertina - see all our stories about chair design.
- Driverless cars and OLED headlights by A…udi at CES 2013
- Milkywave by Aidia Studio
- The Trestle by Bénédicte de Lescure fo…r La Corbeille
- Hand-blown light bulbs by Dylan Kehde Ro…elofs
- Alessandro Ciffo at Dilmos
- Hand Forged by Julien Renault
- Marine Light by Nir Meiri
- "The fashion industry has finally woken …up"
- Doshi Levien for Moroso 2
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories