Product news: this chair by Milan design studio Skrivo features layers of thin cushions based on children's story The Princess and the Pea.
The Stack chair by Skrivo for Italian brand Contempo Italia was inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, in which a princess proves her royal status because she's sensitive enough to be disturbed by a pea in her bed despite many layers of mattresses.
"The concept behind the Stack easy chair comes from the idea of having cushions in constant motion that look like they have been stacked randomly on top of each other," says Skrivo.
The overlapping cushions can be mixed and matched in a wide variety of fabrics and leathers. "The cheerful effect of the overlapping upholstered cushions that sit on a metal frame conveys the idea of stability, comfort and aesthetic delightfulness reminiscent of childhood memories," the designers explain.
The backrest is bolted to two upright metal tubes in a contrasting colour, which bend and slot through four wooden legs to create side rails under the seat.
Other mattress-inspired seating on Dezeen includes a collection of sofas based on nomadic Bedouin furniture, a sofa that looks like a rolled-up mattress and another sofa that's been folded in a concertina - see all our stories about chair design.
- Alfa Romeo Centenary Sculpture by Gerry …Judah
- Dezeen Platform: Manuel Netto
- Axel Bluhme's drum machine triggers soun…ds using rotating discs of magnets
- W101 by Claesson Koivisto Rune for Wäst…berg
- First collection from new Dublin design …brand includes a table with a hammock underneath
- Dezeen Watch Store summer sale: up to 40…% off LunaTik watches
- "Drip-free" umbrella encloses wet canopy… on the inside
- Studio Drift's Obsidian mirror made from… chemical waste
- Shine outdoor furniture by Arik Levy for… Emu
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories