Product news: this chair by Milan design studio Skrivo features layers of thin cushions based on children's story The Princess and the Pea.
The Stack chair by Skrivo for Italian brand Contempo Italia was inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, in which a princess proves her royal status because she's sensitive enough to be disturbed by a pea in her bed despite many layers of mattresses.
"The concept behind the Stack easy chair comes from the idea of having cushions in constant motion that look like they have been stacked randomly on top of each other," says Skrivo.
The overlapping cushions can be mixed and matched in a wide variety of fabrics and leathers. "The cheerful effect of the overlapping upholstered cushions that sit on a metal frame conveys the idea of stability, comfort and aesthetic delightfulness reminiscent of childhood memories," the designers explain.
The backrest is bolted to two upright metal tubes in a contrasting colour, which bend and slot through four wooden legs to create side rails under the seat.
Other mattress-inspired seating on Dezeen includes a collection of sofas based on nomadic Bedouin furniture, a sofa that looks like a rolled-up mattress and another sofa that's been folded in a concertina - see all our stories about chair design.
- Buoy by TAF for Zero
- Bombay Sapphire at the London Design Fes…tival: The Tournament by Jaime Hayón
- Omer Polak and Michal Evyatar blow dough… into balloons to create colourful snacks
- The End of History by BrewDog
- Pibal bicycle by Philippe Starck and Peu…geot
- Salvaged materials form chairs in Curro …Claret's More Than This collection
- "Nostalgic comfort" brings brass back in…to contemporary design
- Toscani updates B&B Italia ad after 35 y…ears
- Eindhoven design studio Formafantasma is… "experimenting with lava"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories