Marc Newson enclosed the Bumper Bed within padded leather cushions to evoke the sense of sleeping on a mattress laid directly on the ground.
"Most people I know have at some point in their lives slept on a mattress on the floor," said Newson. "So I thought it would be nice to design a bed that would [encourage] people like me to replace their faithful mattress with a 'beautiful bed'."
One lip sits flush with the mattress and a second wraps around the bed at floor level, with an orange leather strip running between the two.
The sides are deep enough to be used as seats and can be ordered from Domeau & Pérès in white, dove (pictured) or chocolate colours.
Marc Newson recently teamed up with Apple senior vide president of design Jonathan Ive to design a range of products to auction for U2 frontman Bono's charity (RED).
- Blow lamps by Theo Möller inflate lik…e balloons
- Lights by Nathalie Dewez
- Jin Kuramoto adds maple furniture to M…atsuso T range
- Tjep. creates Bronze Age furniture in …opposition to 3D printing
- Randomly Crystallised by Front
- Kanazawa World Craft Triennial 2010 Pr…e-event by Nendo
- Formafantasma experiment with lava to …create furniture collection
- E8 table by Mathias Hahn
- Logo Chairs by Richard Woods and Sebas…tian Wrong
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories