Marc Newson enclosed the Bumper Bed within padded leather cushions to evoke the sense of sleeping on a mattress laid directly on the ground.
"Most people I know have at some point in their lives slept on a mattress on the floor," said Newson. "So I thought it would be nice to design a bed that would [encourage] people like me to replace their faithful mattress with a 'beautiful bed'."
One lip sits flush with the mattress and a second wraps around the bed at floor level, with an orange leather strip running between the two.
The sides are deep enough to be used as seats and can be ordered from Domeau & Pérès in white, dove (pictured) or chocolate colours.
Marc Newson recently teamed up with Apple senior vide president of design Jonathan Ive to design a range of products to auction for U2 frontman Bono's charity (RED).
- American Apparel launches collection wit…h Memphis Group's Nathalie Du Pasquier
- The Bone Project by Andrew Ross
- Circle or Dot by Giha Woo
- London 2012 Olympics logo 2
- City Music by Akko Goldenbeld
- "My sketches are really awful" - Nendo's… Oki Sato
- Elastic Diamond by Nendo
- Rattan backrest curves around Hiroomi Ta…hara's Wrap sofa
- Craig Green constructs giant fabric veil…s for Spring Summer 2016 fashion collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories