Marc Newson enclosed the Bumper Bed within padded leather cushions to evoke the sense of sleeping on a mattress laid directly on the ground.
"Most people I know have at some point in their lives slept on a mattress on the floor," said Newson. "So I thought it would be nice to design a bed that would [encourage] people like me to replace their faithful mattress with a 'beautiful bed'."
One lip sits flush with the mattress and a second wraps around the bed at floor level, with an orange leather strip running between the two.
The sides are deep enough to be used as seats and can be ordered from Domeau & Pérès in white, dove (pictured) or chocolate colours.
Marc Newson recently teamed up with Apple senior vide president of design Jonathan Ive to design a range of products to auction for U2 frontman Bono's charity (RED).
- Intimacy by Studio Roosegaarde and V2_
- Family Bench by Valentin Garal for Le Po…rc-Shop
- Reusable Fragile packaging forms a prote…ctive skin around delicate objects
- Interactive slideshow: Normann Copenhage…n's latest furniture collection
- Peter William Holden’s Frankensteinian… robots perform dance routines to music
- Slim Office by Bertjan Pot
- Vika's modular bathroom range is designe…d to create comfortable wash areas
- Sibling's wifi-blocking ON/OFF installat…ion creates a disconnected "cold spot"
- Brain scanning could be used to design "…scientifically perfect" products
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories