Marc Newson enclosed the Bumper Bed within padded leather cushions to evoke the sense of sleeping on a mattress laid directly on the ground.
"Most people I know have at some point in their lives slept on a mattress on the floor," said Newson. "So I thought it would be nice to design a bed that would [encourage] people like me to replace their faithful mattress with a 'beautiful bed'."
One lip sits flush with the mattress and a second wraps around the bed at floor level, with an orange leather strip running between the two.
The sides are deep enough to be used as seats and can be ordered from Domeau & Pérès in white, dove (pictured) or chocolate colours.
Marc Newson recently teamed up with Apple senior vide president of design Jonathan Ive to design a range of products to auction for U2 frontman Bono's charity (RED).
- Tea Sets by Christine Misiak
- Smoke by Maarten Baas
- Vader by Luca Nichetto for David Design
- Big-Game Overview
- Spot table lamps by Nir Meiri
- Movie: Nike Pro TurboSpeed speed-suit
- Eat Drink Design: a temporary restaurant… in a greenhouse
- Giant flowers obscure models in Ondrej A…damek's graduate fashion collection
- MT Club Chair by Very Good & Proper
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories