Marc Newson enclosed the Bumper Bed within padded leather cushions to evoke the sense of sleeping on a mattress laid directly on the ground.
"Most people I know have at some point in their lives slept on a mattress on the floor," said Newson. "So I thought it would be nice to design a bed that would [encourage] people like me to replace their faithful mattress with a 'beautiful bed'."
One lip sits flush with the mattress and a second wraps around the bed at floor level, with an orange leather strip running between the two.
The sides are deep enough to be used as seats and can be ordered from Domeau & Pérès in white, dove (pictured) or chocolate colours.
Marc Newson recently teamed up with Apple senior vide president of design Jonathan Ive to design a range of products to auction for U2 frontman Bono's charity (RED).
- Luzinterruptus creates "weird and sinist…er" lighting installation using floating latex gloves
- Twenty-First Century Design by Marcus Fa…irs
- Guitars for OK Go by Moritz Waldemeyer
- New collection aims to take Habitat "bac…k to what it was many years ago"
- Art commissions at Heathrow Terminal Fiv…e
- LAT Chair by Jeroen van Laarhoven
- X Y and Z by Daniel Lorch
- Bolon reinterprets Missoni's iconic zigz…ag for new flooring collection
- Paper eyelashes by Paperself at The Temp…orium
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories