The designer modelled the interior with black walls that will be textured using a cement-based covering called Microcemento, which creates continuous surfaces without joints and grooves.
European birch beams will intersect at different angles across the ceiling of the 110-square-metre space, contrasting with the black walls. "We wanted to make the project expressive, fresh and modern, using natural materials and finishes," said Samoriz.
A wooden dining surface at bar height will be cantilevered from a central concrete pillar, while large conical lampshades will hang over individual square tables.
At one end of the cafe, angled lamps will hang from a horizontal I beam on the wall, directing light onto circular black tables surrounded by stools.
Wine racks will store bottles above the bar and doorways, while wooden toilet cubicles stamped with a "fragile" motif like a packing crate will sit at the rear of the store.
The project is due for completion in summer 2014.
- A small tree grows inside Ito-biyori caf…e by Ninkipen!
- Uchi Lounge 02 by Facet Studio
- Ceramika showroom by Claesson Koivisto R…une Architects
- 28Posti Restaurant by Francesco Faccin
- 18 Feet & Rising offices by Studio Octop…i
- Frivole Prestige perfumery by Theza
- Transformations by Tjep.
- Everyday Chaa by MAEZM and Sarah Kim
- Niseko Look Out Cafe by Design Spirits
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories