Portuguese firm Aires Mateus made it into the Hot List despite having just one project published on Dezeen in the last year – an impressive rework of an 18th-century townhouse in Lisbon.
Brothers Manuel and Francisco Aires Mateus run the studio, which has become a cult favourite among both Dezeen readers and editors. Their most popular projects continue to be viewed years after completion, and range from a home for elderly people to an architecture school and a pair of seaside cabins.
1. House for elderly people by Aires Mateus Arquitectos
2. Aires Mateus to design architecture school with a house-shaped entrance
3. Manuel Aires Mateus reworks the interior of an 18th-century Lisbon townhouse
4. House in Alcobaça by Aires Mateus
5. Cabanas no Rio by Aires Mateus