Sneak preview: the Issey Miyake Foundation has sent us photos of the nearly-completed 21_21 Design Sight building in Tokyo, designed by Tadao Ando Architect and Associates and Nikken Sekkei.
The facility, located in the Tokyo Midtown development zone near Roppongi in the Japanese capital, will host exhibitions and seminars exploring the meaning of design.
Issey Miyake Foundation describes 21_21 Design Sight as "a research center for design, a place for thinking about design, and a place where things are actually made."
The facility is the brainchild of clothing designer Issey Miyake, who has appointed graphic designer Taku Satoh and industrial designer Naoto Fukasawa as co-directors of the centre. Former AXIS magazine editor Noriko Kawakami is associate director.
21_21 Design Sight is due to open on 30 March 2007.
>> see updated photos of this building here.
- SAU Taller de Arquitectura's Casa Migdia… features sliding screens and a moveable wall
- Villa L by Powerhouse Company and RAU
- Tbilisi Public Service Hall by Massimili…ano and Doriana Fuksas
- World's narrowest house by Jakub Szczes…ny
- 7 July Memorial by Carmody Groarke
- Concrete retreat by Luciano Kruk sits on… a sand-dune in Buenos Aires
- Miyi Tower by Studio Shift
- Community Centre of La Candida by Adamo …Faiden
- Apartment in Moscow by Peter Kostelov
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories