Sneak preview: the Issey Miyake Foundation has sent us photos of the nearly-completed 21_21 Design Sight building in Tokyo, designed by Tadao Ando Architect and Associates and Nikken Sekkei.
The facility, located in the Tokyo Midtown development zone near Roppongi in the Japanese capital, will host exhibitions and seminars exploring the meaning of design.
Issey Miyake Foundation describes 21_21 Design Sight as "a research center for design, a place for thinking about design, and a place where things are actually made."
The facility is the brainchild of clothing designer Issey Miyake, who has appointed graphic designer Taku Satoh and industrial designer Naoto Fukasawa as co-directors of the centre. Former AXIS magazine editor Noriko Kawakami is associate director.
21_21 Design Sight is due to open on 30 March 2007.
>> see updated photos of this building here.
- SunnyHills cake shop by Kengo Kuma encas…ed within intricate timber lattice
- Faceted timber community centre complete…d by Gayet-Roger Architects
- GMS Grande Palladium by Malik Architectu…re
- Villa at Sengokubara by Shigeru Ban
- Hut on Sleds by Crosson Clarke Carnachan… Architects
- Bjarke Ingels to deliver the Royal Acade…my Annual Architecture Lecture 2015
- Chinese Pavilion at Venice Architecture …Biennale 2012
- House No.7 cottage and extensions on the… Isle of Tiree by Denizen Works
- Facade of colourful shutters allows ligh…t and wind into Block Architects' Vegan House
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories