Sneak preview: the Issey Miyake Foundation has sent us photos of the nearly-completed 21_21 Design Sight building in Tokyo, designed by Tadao Ando Architect and Associates and Nikken Sekkei.
The facility, located in the Tokyo Midtown development zone near Roppongi in the Japanese capital, will host exhibitions and seminars exploring the meaning of design.
Issey Miyake Foundation describes 21_21 Design Sight as "a research center for design, a place for thinking about design, and a place where things are actually made."
The facility is the brainchild of clothing designer Issey Miyake, who has appointed graphic designer Taku Satoh and industrial designer Naoto Fukasawa as co-directors of the centre. Former AXIS magazine editor Noriko Kawakami is associate director.
21_21 Design Sight is due to open on 30 March 2007.
>> see updated photos of this building here.
- National Art Museum of China competition… entry by Gehry Partners
- Prototyp Einfamilienhaus by AKA architet…ti
- Playhouse by Bach Arquitectes
- Signature Center by Frank Gehry
- Parabola House by Atelier Tekuto
- Hermitage State Museum masterplan by AMO
- Paik Nam June Media Bridge by Planning K…orea
- Concrete house by Olson Kundig Architect…s cuts into a rocky outcrop
- Sogn & Fjordane Kunstmuseum by CF Mølle…r Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories