Sneak preview: the Issey Miyake Foundation has sent us photos of the nearly-completed 21_21 Design Sight building in Tokyo, designed by Tadao Ando Architect and Associates and Nikken Sekkei.
The facility, located in the Tokyo Midtown development zone near Roppongi in the Japanese capital, will host exhibitions and seminars exploring the meaning of design.
Issey Miyake Foundation describes 21_21 Design Sight as "a research center for design, a place for thinking about design, and a place where things are actually made."
The facility is the brainchild of clothing designer Issey Miyake, who has appointed graphic designer Taku Satoh and industrial designer Naoto Fukasawa as co-directors of the centre. Former AXIS magazine editor Noriko Kawakami is associate director.
21_21 Design Sight is due to open on 30 March 2007.
>> see updated photos of this building here.
- Parabola House by Atelier Tekuto
- Interview with Bas Princen
- Casa Pedralbes by Joan Anguita
- Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners hands ov…er the Leadenhall Building for fit out
- Hut on Sleds by Crosson Clarke Carnachan… Architects
- Movie: m.poli by Brut Deluxe and ImagenS…ubliminal
- Loop Kindergarten by SAKO Architects
- Casa 2V by BR3 Arquitetos features a bri…dge, a courtyard and a granite-topped staircase
- Kengo Kuma extends his Garden Terrace Na…gasaki hotel with an asymmetric annex
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories