Sneak preview: the Issey Miyake Foundation has sent us photos of the nearly-completed 21_21 Design Sight building in Tokyo, designed by Tadao Ando Architect and Associates and Nikken Sekkei.
The facility, located in the Tokyo Midtown development zone near Roppongi in the Japanese capital, will host exhibitions and seminars exploring the meaning of design.
Issey Miyake Foundation describes 21_21 Design Sight as "a research center for design, a place for thinking about design, and a place where things are actually made."
The facility is the brainchild of clothing designer Issey Miyake, who has appointed graphic designer Taku Satoh and industrial designer Naoto Fukasawa as co-directors of the centre. Former AXIS magazine editor Noriko Kawakami is associate director.
21_21 Design Sight is due to open on 30 March 2007.
>> see updated photos of this building here.
- Opera House Oslo by Snøhetta
- Villa Rieteiland-oost by Egeon Architect…en
- Studio R by Studio MK27
- Meditation House by Pascal Arquitectos
- IwamotoScott and Leong Leong wrap a Miam…i parking garage in perforated screens
- Koç Primary School swimming pool by Erg…inoglu & Çalışlar and IND [Inter.National.Design]
- Iron Gallery by Kensuke Watanabe Archite…cture Studio
- Future tourists could "travel the virtua…l world instead of the physical"
- Nantes house extension contrasts blacken…ed wood facades with pale window frames
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories