Milan Update: Tom Dixon has sent us renderings of some new products that will be launched in Milan later this month.
Several of the products explore metal-casting techniques (such as the cast iron table, top image) plus Dixon will be unveiling a new seating concept called Slouch (above).
Below: Dinky lamp
Below: Punch pendant light
Below is a press release from Dixon's studio:
Via Tortona, 27, Milan
18 – 23 April 2006, 10am – 10pm
British design company TOM DIXON will reveal its new lighting and furniture range in Superstudio Piu during the Milan Design Week in April 2007.
The 2007 collection is defined by a ‘Metallic’ theme. Diving back into the material that initiated his original interest in design, Tom Dixon has taken inspiration from a diversity of sources that range from the heroic use of cast iron by the engineers of the industrial revolution, to the skilled craftsmen of the Indian subcontinent.
This iconic collection illustrates the durable, malleable and versatile properties of a range of metals by exploiting a variety of production techniques including; casting for fluid, sculptural form, anodising for the hitech industrial finishes, and hammered brass for the softer more human touch. The use of metal appears in several different forms and shapes offering products that reflect honest and solid British quality.
Tom Dixon says: “more precious, more versatile and tougher than other materials, this seems to be the year for metal...The catwalks are full of gold and silver, the prices of copper, steel and gold reach new extremes on the international commodity markets, and I am just happy to be working again in a material that feels like it has the permanence and the authority that objects should have in the 21st century."
- Voyage to Uchronia by Matali Crasset a…t Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac
- PearsonLloyd's office furniture for Te…knion encourages workers to get more intimate
- Stop2Go by Mondaine at Dezeen Watch St…ore
- Swarovski Crystal Palace 2010
- Interview with Matthew Hilton
- One Day Paper Waste by Jens Praet
- Hug by Claesson Koivisto Rune for Arfl…ex
- Moustache products to form breathing i…nstallation at Spazio Rossana Orlandi
- Future Fashions exhibition by You Are …Here and Glamcult Studio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories