Zaha's having a busy year: this is the first of four new works the architect is presenting at the Design Miami/Basel collectors' fair in Switzerland next week.
Produced for art dealer Kenny Schachter, Belu is a multi-functional domestic form that could be used as seating, a table or storage.
Full details from Hadid's office below:
Belu for Kenny Schachter ROVE Gallery
Booth 3, Design Miami/Basel, Markthalle, Viaduktstrasse 10, Basel, CH-4051
BELU BENCH [DESIGNED IN: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM]
PROGRAM: Commission for a seating area
CLIENT: Kenneth Schachter
ARCHITECTS: Design Zaha Hadid with Patrik Schumacher
Project Designer: Saffet Kaya Bekiroglu
Project Team: Maha Kutay, Tarek Shamma, Melissa Woolford
Belu is conceived as an autonomous single-celled body that allows for multifunctional use; as a table, counter, chair, container, or simply as a surface to lean on, rest on...
With the dynamic complex geometry of a fluid volume, Belu is able to generate varying adjacency conditions in its direct relationship with the human body. Belu is not just an object for display, but a dynamic gesture that spatially defines its surroundings whilst serving a variety of functions.
In a re-visitation of the original concept, these unique geometries of Belu have been maintained yet scaled down in all three dimensions. This series affords Belu further possibilities of direct intervention within the domestic environment.
- Melbourne Project by Sigurd Larsen
- Wanders launches Mondrian South Beach pr…oject
- Modular Bench by Shizuka Tatsuno
- Energy Bucket by Stefano Merlo
- Dezeen Watch Store spring sale
- Narcisse mirrors by various designers fo…r Domestic
- Hella Jongerius: "Why make new stuff eve…ry year? I'm happy to work on the classics"
- Zaha Hadid's gold bracelet is embedded w…ith 1,048 diamonds
- Alphabet City Lights by JDS Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories