The citizens of Basel, Switzerland, have voted by a clear majority against architect Zaha Hadid's proposed Neues Stadt-Casino, meaning the auditorium will now not be built.
Hadid won an invited competition four years ago to design the building, which would have been the city's new concert hall. But Swiss tradition states that the public get the final say on any large project that involves public spending. Basler Zeitung reports that 62.6% of voters rejected the proposal.
Basel also voted against retaining the city's remaining trolleybuses in a separate plebiscite. They will now be replaced by gas-powered buses.
- Brick bungalows provide social housing f…or elderly residents in east London
- Atelier Pierre Thibault's Le Grand Plate…au house is raised on stilts above a forest floor
- Hypercubus by WG3
- McGarry-Moon updates a traditional stone… barn with a steel-framed living space
- Christophe Rousselle adds reflective bal…conies to Zac de la Marine residences
- Stade Bordeaux Atlantique by Herzog & de… Meuron
- The University of Queensland opens engin…eering facility with a louvred terracotta facade
- Adaptable architecture gallery
- House T by Tsukano Architect Office
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories