The citizens of Basel, Switzerland, have voted by a clear majority against architect Zaha Hadid's proposed Neues Stadt-Casino, meaning the auditorium will now not be built.
Hadid won an invited competition four years ago to design the building, which would have been the city's new concert hall. But Swiss tradition states that the public get the final say on any large project that involves public spending. Basler Zeitung reports that 62.6% of voters rejected the proposal.
Basel also voted against retaining the city's remaining trolleybuses in a separate plebiscite. They will now be replaced by gas-powered buses.
- National Arboretum in Canberra boasts …pointed pavilion and curvy visitor centre
- Harajuku Box House by Daniel Statham A…rchitects
- Dezeen Book of Ideas: Eiffel DNA by Se…rero Architects
- Ennead Architects chosen for Chile's s…ubantarctic research centre
- IDF blog update
- X House by Cadaval & Solà-Morales
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House A by… Takeshi Hamada
- Brutopia is an aluminium-clad apartmen…t complex built by a cooperative in Brussels
- Delta House by Yoshiyasu Mizuno centre…s around a triangular courtyard
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories