New Designers 07: The Ethical Kitchen is a project by Alexandra Sten Jørgensen, a recent graduate of the contemporary design course at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University in England.
The project consists of a kitchen that recycles water and food waste to nourish a living plant - if you don't recycle enough, the plant will wilt.
Below is some info from the designer:
THE ETHICAL KITCHEN
By Alexandra Sten Jørgensen
Ethical living is the philosophy of making decisions for daily life which take into account ethics and moral values with regard to sustainability and environmentalism. Ethical living is still a personal choice.
Pay it back.
The project is based on the idea that in the near future, ethical living is no longer a life style we choose, but a life style we all will need to adjust to. The intention is to make ethical living functional and more attractive whilst providing an understanding of how nature and consumption are connected.
The kitchen island is a sink and a preparation surface where you prepare and compost food and recycle the packaging. The compost on one side feeds the growing plant on the other, which is watered by ‘grey water’ through a drip mechanism attached to the waste pipe. The life of the plant relies on how well you adapt to ethical living, and the aesthetics of the unit is therefore a unique reflection of our actions.
- Shadow and Light by Front for Porro
- Lego-inspired modular structures restore… damaged coral reefs
- René Barba creates lollipop-shaped lamp… from paper-like fabric for Ligne Roset
- Alice Wang Design proposes products for …the future of marriage
- Louise Bennetts constructs fashion colle…ction from cork and horsehair
- Genetically engineered crops could grow …lace amongst their roots
- Interview with Tord Boontje on RCA Inten…t show
- Solid Shell by VW+BS for Decode at Bench… 10
- FuelBand at NikeFuel Station
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories