New Designers 07: The Ethical Kitchen is a project by Alexandra Sten Jørgensen, a recent graduate of the contemporary design course at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University in England.
The project consists of a kitchen that recycles water and food waste to nourish a living plant - if you don't recycle enough, the plant will wilt.
Below is some info from the designer:
THE ETHICAL KITCHEN
By Alexandra Sten Jørgensen
Ethical living is the philosophy of making decisions for daily life which take into account ethics and moral values with regard to sustainability and environmentalism. Ethical living is still a personal choice.
Pay it back.
The project is based on the idea that in the near future, ethical living is no longer a life style we choose, but a life style we all will need to adjust to. The intention is to make ethical living functional and more attractive whilst providing an understanding of how nature and consumption are connected.
The kitchen island is a sink and a preparation surface where you prepare and compost food and recycle the packaging. The compost on one side feeds the growing plant on the other, which is watered by ‘grey water’ through a drip mechanism attached to the waste pipe. The life of the plant relies on how well you adapt to ethical living, and the aesthetics of the unit is therefore a unique reflection of our actions.
- Drawing Lamp by Thomas Feichtner
- Ross Lovegrove for KEF
- Table Cloth by Ball-Nogues
- Dezeen Watch Store brings augmented re…ality pop-up shop to Hackney House Austin 2014
- Campanas in talks with Disney
- Rainbow Church by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Soft Rocker by Committee for SCP
- Banksy masterpiece destroyed by vandal…s
- Matthew Plummer-Fernandez to present "…personalised avatars for your vehicle"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories