Danish architect Julien de Smedt of JDS Architects has won a competition to design a new ski jump at Holmenkollen in Oslo, Norway.
The new facility will be completed by 2010.
Details from JDS:
TITLE: NEW HOLMENKOLLEN FYR: EXTENDING TRADITIONS
PROJECT: HOLMENKOLLEN SKI JUMP
LOCATION: OSLO, NORWAY
TYPE: OPEN COMPETITION, 1ST PRIZE
CLIENT: OSLO MUNICIPALITY
COLLABORATORS: FLORIAN KOSCHE, ENGINEER
STATUS: COMPLETION 2010
THE NEW HOLMENKOLLEN HILL IS EXTENDING TRADITION… TO THE SKY!
IT STRIVES TO KEEP THE FINE BALANCE BETWEEN MAJESTIC AND SIMPLE AND EMPHASIZES THE EXISTING LANDMARK VALUES WHILE INTRODUCING CONTEMPORARY MATERIALS AND DESIGN.
TO EMPHASIZE THE SILHOUETTE, THE SHAPE IS SHARP AND SIMPLY CUT. IT USES THE GIVEN WIND PROTECTION PROFILE AND OFFSETS IT PARALLEL DOWN, CREATING A SMOOTH BENDED RECTANGLE HOSTING THE SLOPE, THE MAIN ELEVATORS AND THE TOP IN-RUN PROGRAM.
THE TOP IS CUT HORIZONTALLY TO ACCOMMODATE A VIEWING PLATFORM. THE KNOLL BUILDING IS MOVED FURTHER UP THE HILL, SERVING AS ANCHOR POINT FOR THE STRUCTURE, LETTING IT CANTILEVER AND AVOID A DISRUPTIVE STRUCTURAL SUPPORT.
FROM A DISTANCE THE STRUCTURE WILL APPEAR AS A MILKY-WHITE SHARP PROFILE FURTHER EXTENDED WITH A LIGHT BEAM DIFFUSING INTO THE SKY.
- Chilean Pavilion in Venice centres aroun…d a politically charged concrete wall
- House S by Suga Atelier
- Slabs of corduroy-textured concrete enca…se a Spanish home by Muka Arquitectura
- Costa Rica residence by Obra Architects …boasts indoor and outdoor rooms
- Villa Vauban extension by Philippe Schmi…t
- Wooden Haus M by Exit Architects is a sk…iing and hiking retreat in Austria
- Dezeen archive: Shenzhen
- Pair of houses by Naf Architect & Design… stand together to form an arch
- Two Houses and Two Studios by RAUM
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories