By coincidence, here's another project with abstract floral cladding: Singapore architects U:phoria have sent us these images of their winning entry in a competition to design a pavilion on Orchard Road, Singapore.
The structure will be made from lightweight steel and covered in patterned printed acrylic panels.
There's a video about the project here.
The following information is from U:phoria:
Prize winning entry for a pavilion in the heart of Orchard Road, Singapore.
The concept is to create a structure that is light and elegant looking. It will be a place for quiet resting and dining, while evoking a sense of peace & tranquillity as an antithesis to the urban flurry that surrounds it.
This pavilion will exemplify the use of lightweight steel framing to create a structure that appears to defy its own weight, and seemingly looks as if it is floating above the ground. It is an urban manifestation of the ephemeral quality of the city life.
Steel Design Strategy
The strategy is to utilise a simple component: an l-shaped lightweight galvanised steel section. This steel section will be placed in consecutive additions and in pairs, in perpendicular directions at each end of the section, thereby causing a curved nature of the form created, without physically bending the steel members.
Through the additions, the steel sections will form a lightweight roof frame that itself acts as a structural component. The frame itself will encompass both the wall and the roof as structure, therefore eliminating the need for columns. A series of similarly placed vertical steel bars will form the entrance screen and also support for the cantilever of the steel frame.
The diagrams here describe the process of the steel sections addition in succession, with the roof being covered in patterned printed acrylic panels for lightweight purpose whilst allowing natural light to enter the pavilion.
Designed by U:phoria Architecture+Design. Principal Architect : Tan Wee Meng
Below: steel frame forming strategy
Posted by Rose Etherington
- Australia House Gallery and Studio by An…drew Burns
- Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum by Zaha …Hadid
- Case-Real combines a patisserie with a w…ine bar in Fukuoka
- Rowing facility by Álvaro Fernandes And…rade snakes across a landscape of underground dorms
- Zaragoza Bridge Pavilion by Zaha Hadid
- Centre Pompidou-Metz by Shigeru Ban
- Skeletal pavilion shaped like a lock kee…per's cottage pops up in London's Olympic Park
- Montecito Residence by Olson Sundberg Ku…ndig Allen Architects
- Signal Ethique pavilion by Arnaud Huart …sits atop a French mountain
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories