By coincidence, here's another project with abstract floral cladding: Singapore architects U:phoria have sent us these images of their winning entry in a competition to design a pavilion on Orchard Road, Singapore.
The structure will be made from lightweight steel and covered in patterned printed acrylic panels.
There's a video about the project here.
The following information is from U:phoria:
Prize winning entry for a pavilion in the heart of Orchard Road, Singapore.
The concept is to create a structure that is light and elegant looking. It will be a place for quiet resting and dining, while evoking a sense of peace & tranquillity as an antithesis to the urban flurry that surrounds it.
This pavilion will exemplify the use of lightweight steel framing to create a structure that appears to defy its own weight, and seemingly looks as if it is floating above the ground. It is an urban manifestation of the ephemeral quality of the city life.
Steel Design Strategy
The strategy is to utilise a simple component: an l-shaped lightweight galvanised steel section. This steel section will be placed in consecutive additions and in pairs, in perpendicular directions at each end of the section, thereby causing a curved nature of the form created, without physically bending the steel members.
Through the additions, the steel sections will form a lightweight roof frame that itself acts as a structural component. The frame itself will encompass both the wall and the roof as structure, therefore eliminating the need for columns. A series of similarly placed vertical steel bars will form the entrance screen and also support for the cantilever of the steel frame.
The diagrams here describe the process of the steel sections addition in succession, with the roof being covered in patterned printed acrylic panels for lightweight purpose whilst allowing natural light to enter the pavilion.
Designed by U:phoria Architecture+Design. Principal Architect : Tan Wee Meng
Below: steel frame forming strategy
Posted by Rose Etherington
- FAM Architekti's Lake Cabin provides a w…aterside retreat in a Czech forest
- The golden age is over for public buildi…ngs in Britain, says Stirling Prize winner
- Concrete volumes are fused with an old p…iano factory to create David Chipperfield's Berlin office
- Cedar-clad field station by GO Logic hou…ses University of Chicago laboratory
- Renzo Piano's "prodigiously misassembled…" Whitney Museum is a grower, say critics
- Architects design cat shelters for anima…l charity fundraiser
- The Volcano Project by Kieren Jones
- Faceted zinc roof connects uneven wooden… gables of Casa FM guest house
- Bermondsey Bike Store by Sarah Wiggleswo…rth Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories