London-based architecture and design studio Voon Wong & Benson Saw have created a cloud-like installation using polystyrene cups for the opening of a design store in Malaysia.
The structure is mounted on the exterior of the new Space Furniture showroom in Kuala Lumpur.
The following information is from the designers:
Space Furniture Showroom opening Kuala Lumpur
voonwong&bensonsaw have created an extraordinary cloud-like installation for the opening of the new Space Furniture showroom in Kuala Lumpur, the latest venture for this prestigious design retailer. The striking sculptural canopy has been created from a simple everyday object, the polystyrene cup, and plays with ideas that are the current interests of this practice, such as modularity, light and materiality.
The installation will act as a backdrop to the collection of bone china tableware, SETCAST, originally launched at the Yard Gallery, home to the Architecture Foundation in London. The collection is the result of a close collaboration between voonwong&bensonsaw and one of China’s most distinguished manufacturers of bone china, Asianera, based in Tangshan, northern China.
Together, the companies have developed a collection that makes the best use of bone china’s excellent light-reflective properties and also moves away from traditional decorative tableware to focus on striking new typologies that make a bold statement.
- Moritz Waldemeyer with Hussein Chalayan
- Westminster BA Fashion 2013 collection b…y Philli Wood
- Discarded marble tiles form products by …Paolo Ulian and Moreno Ratti
- Honeywell joins connected-home market wi…th Lyric smart thermostat
- Pill Range by Alexander Lotersztain for …Derlot Editions
- Story lamp by Skar+Vidal
- Dezeen Platform: Mirna Kerr
- Brush Hooks by Dominic Wilcox
- Paralympic design: adaptive sailing equi…pment
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories