Five architects, including Studio Daniel Libeskind (above and below), Ateliers Jean Nouvel and Foster + Partners, have been shortlisted to design Tour Signal, a high-rise building at La Défense business district in Paris.
French architects Jacques Ferrier Architectures and Wilmotte et Associés SA are also shortlisted.
The shortlist was announced at the MIPIM property fair in Cannes last week. Above: Jacques Ferrier Architectures.
Above: Ateliers Jean Nouvel
Above: Foster + Partners
Above: Wilmotte et Associés SA
Here's some info from competition organisers EPAD:
The La Défense business district is at a turning point in its development. The prime centre for European business must continue to assert and strengthen its place among the great international business districts.
With the establishment of the La Défense Renewal Plan, EPAD has undertaken a strategic and prospective study with the aim of sustainable development and architectural innovation, two aspects which play a full part in its economic attractiveness.
Therefore, in July 2007, EPAD launched an international call for projects for the construction of the Tour Signal, which forms an integral part of this plan. It is a question of exploring the organisational, programmatic, technological and aesthetic proposals that might extend and enhance the special characteristics of La Défense. Due for completion in 2015, the Tour Signal will symbolise the renewal of La Défense. This new high-rise building will add a Very High Emotional Quality to the previous symbolic and historic architectural constructions in the La Défense district, such as the CNIT and the Grande Arche.
For this call for projects, EPAD deliberately did not impose a site. The candidates were thus able to choose their sites either from among the entrances to the business district (South Gate and West Gate), either from sites subject to demolition operations. The Tour Signal will thus endow the business district with a new landmark.
Today at MIPIM, the Tour Signal project is moving into its second stage, with the disclosure of the identity of the 5 fi nalist projects that are competing for selection of the winning project, which is planned for the end of April 2008.
- New Mexico spaceport by Foster
- Sydney garden pavilion by AR-MA built fr…om thousands of components
- UNStudio completes a digitally controlle…d home with a flower-shaped plan
- Anchorage Museum Expansion by David Chip…perfield Architects
- House at Camusdarach Sands by Raw Archit…ecture Workshop has a kinked facade
- Oak walkway by Levitate inserted into ru…ined castle
- Old Market Square Stage by 5468796 Archi…tecture
- Christian de Portzamparc's Cidade das Ar…tes adds curving concrete fins to the Rio skyline
- Join Concierge Club and stay a night for… free at The Jones hotel in London
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories