Jar Tops, a student project by designer Jorre van Ast of OKAYstudio, have been put into production by Dutch kitchenware manufacturers Royal VKB. Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
The collection consists of a range of tops that screw onto reused jars, turning them into containers, jugs, shakers and more.
The set includes adaptations for a sugar pot, milk jug, chocolate sprinkler, oil & vinegar set and a water jug.
Van Ast explains, "By screwing on plastic tops, these readily available jars are turned into vessels with a specific function. A generic jar is transformed into kitchenware, creating more practical and emotional value."
Van Ast originally showed the collection as part of his graduation show at the Royal College of Art in London in 2006.
- Ceramics by Fou de Feu
- Magno Tube Lamp by Doreen Westphal
- Urbanears by Norra Norr
- Between Two Rivers by Siba Sahabi
- Movie: Ross Lovegrove on his Solar Tree …at Clerkenwell Design Week
- Lamp made from model glider materials by… Studio Daniel for Odesi
- Delft Blue vases by Marcel Wanders
- Fashion Font by Yvette Yang
- Untreated brass creates contrast in Dani…el Schofield's Tarnish tableware collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories