Jar Tops, a student project by designer Jorre van Ast of OKAYstudio, have been put into production by Dutch kitchenware manufacturers Royal VKB. Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
The collection consists of a range of tops that screw onto reused jars, turning them into containers, jugs, shakers and more.
The set includes adaptations for a sugar pot, milk jug, chocolate sprinkler, oil & vinegar set and a water jug.
Van Ast explains, "By screwing on plastic tops, these readily available jars are turned into vessels with a specific function. A generic jar is transformed into kitchenware, creating more practical and emotional value."
Van Ast originally showed the collection as part of his graduation show at the Royal College of Art in London in 2006.
- Using traditional crafts in design is no…t "sentimental" says Sebastian Cox
- Nendo's Stay-brella stands up unassisted
- Established & Sons at The Temporium
- Dezeen Watch Store pop-up shops at desig…njunction and 100% Design
- Design Indaba videos: Revital Cohen
- Stitch Room by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
- Tom Dixon to launch metal home and offic…e accessories in Paris
- Wrong Colour Furniture System by Minale-…Maeda
- Plantation pots combine hand-thrown porc…elain with discarded glasses
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories