The Strata Hotel/extension to Residence Königswarte is clad in horizontal timber slats and was completed in November last year.
See Dezeen's earlier story on Plasma Studio's Tetris Haus.
The following information is from Plasma Studio:
Located on a steep hillside in the Italian Dolomites this new-built hotel has been developed as the interweaving of the free-flowing topography- indexed and organized by series of timber strips- and the serial sequence of apartment units perpendicular to it.
Skin organisation as strata
Since the overall shape was developed from the local planning guidelines, the linear distribution of units and the views and sun directions, it is a resultant of the constant negotiations among all these parameters as well as a topological answer to the picturesque typologies frequently built in the area.
From applying the logic of topographical mapping ie. the indexing of horizontal sections as continuous lines, the volume is formed as a series of strata that as an artificial entity maintains a dialogue with its natural environment. In addition these horizontal sections operate as control lines, enabling the generation of curved hyperbolic-parabolic geometry.
The bands surround the volume at different scales, peeling off from it, flowing into the landscape and blurring the boundaries of the building.
The balconies become in-between zones that negotiate the internal rationale of the apartments ruled by efficiency and the repetition of parts with the exterior as extension of the topography.
- Parc des Expositions by OMA
- Black-painted S House by Hammerschmid Pa…chl Seebacher raised up on stilts
- Giant sash windows cover the back of Pan…ovscott's Sydney house extension
- Eagle Ridge Residence by Gary Gladwish f…rames a rockery and pond
- House B.A.B.E. by Destilat is twisted to… shelter the entrance
- Waste-to-Energy Plant by BIG
- Trail House by Anne Holtrop
- Apartment buildings by Group8asia clad i…n strips of travertine stone
- Sheraton Huzhou Hot Spring Resort by MAD
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories