The plexiglass chairs have ghost-like forms inside them, created with laser technology.
Design by Ralph Nauta and Lonneke Gordijn for DRIFT, 2007/2008
Material: plexiglas (PMMA) of 50 mm thickness.
Size: 36 x 48 x 84 cm
Weight: 25 kg
The ghost is a futuristic concept of a chair, 3-dimensionally captured within the boundaries of reality. It gives you a bit of a dramatic feeling: unbelievable, high-tech, but beautiful.
The material shape is kept very uniform to remain a big contrast with the organic shapes inside. We sketched a futuristic concept of a chair that can not exist yet. By doing this we deliberate our design from the trend of stereotypical baroque forms.
Nowadays anything is possible with 3D computerprograms -you can even draw the impossible - so why fall back on the awkward design language of your grandma’s furniture? With the Ghost Chair we want to make clear that it is time to free ourselves of old styles and trends
and to start designing our own future.
It is a very new and exclusive product using the latest production techniques. The chairs are handmade with the best materials and specialists from Europe, therefore they will be very suitable for high end purposes. We can make every chair unique on the inside! There are also possibilities to customize the design of the inside ghost in consultation with the designers.
This year at the Salone del Mobile Milan 2008, we intend to kick off our ‘ghost collection’. The collection will excist of eight different (table)chairs, two different armchairs and a stools.
The collection will be presented in Nhow-hotel at via Tortona 35,from 16th untill 21st of april 2008.
- Blank Wall Clock by Martí Guixé for Al…essi
- Vitra launches a lounge chair by Hella J…ongerius in Milan
- Hang Around and Toss Around by KiBiSi fo…r Muuto
- Fondue Stool by Satsuki Ohata is modelle…d on molten cheese
- Helena Westerlind at The Temporium
- Moooi's new photorealistic carpets could… give designers "a new kind of freedom"
- Sebastian Bergne's Hot Milk Lab encourag…es flavour experiments
- Dezeen podcast: Drawing Fashion at the D…esign Museum
- ScanLAB and Vivienne Westwood collaborat…e on first laser-scanned photoshoot
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories