Called the NLA Sky Walk, the structure will host exhibitions, music and performances from 4-6 July.
More info follows:
NLA Sky Walk - Montague Place, WC1, 4-6 July 2008
A 160m long architectural installation will transform a little-known street behind the British Museum for one weekend in July, hosting exhibitions, talks, walks, open-air theatre, world music, games food and dancing as part of the London Festival of Architecture.
The two day, free street party will be the central feature of the King’s Cross, Bloomsbury, Fitzrovia and Covent Garden Hub, curated by New London Architecture to provide visitors with an insight into the development and possibilities of this special area of central London.
The NLA Sky Walk, designed by Young Architect of the Year Carmody Groarke, will transform Montague Place, WC1 into an exciting cultural space and public part of the city. The installation, rising up to five-metres high, will zigzag across the street providing a new perspective on the Museum and its surroundings, creating a series of public spaces, a dramatic viewing gallery, outdoor exhibition galleries, lawned seating areas and stage designed around an existing London Plane tree.
The installation will play host to architectural exhibitions, open-air theatre performances from RADA, world music from SOAS, family workshops from the team at the British Museum and Mobile Studio and a large scale public picnic celebrating local fresh food and open space from Bohn and Viljoen Architects. It will be a place to eat, relax and enjoy the spectacle of architecture current, planned and temporary.
- Key projects by Eduardo Souto de Moura
- Airhouse Design Office creates a hierarc…hy of rooms inside House in Ohno
- Hampstead Lane by Duggan Morris Architec…ts
- Cemetery complex by Andrea Dragoni conta…ins public plazas and site-specific artworks
- Noel Dominguez inserts timber cube house… into Parisian garden
- Canoes Landscape by Julio Barreno
- The Tanks at Tate Modern by Herzog & de …Meuron
- House E/J in Tel Aviv by Paritzki & Lian…i Architects
- Areal Architecten's Mayerhof retirement …home wraps around two courtyards
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories