X–Architects of Dubai have designed an urban complex called Xeritown that aims to be a more sustainable mode of development than recent projects in the emirate.
The development, proposed for the emerging Dubailand urban district, aims to encourage a pedestrian-orientated lifestyle and minimise energy consumption.
The following information is from X–Architects:
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Xeritown is located in Dubailand, a new extension of the city towards the inland desert. Instead of considering the site as a Tabula Rasa “Xeritown” takes the desert and local climate as a context within which the urban form emerges by working with the natural environment instead of against it.
The project Xeritown aims are:
- to consider environmental conditions (wind, sun, humidity) as generators of the urban form,
- to integrate landscape, architecture and infrastructure in one system where all the parts collaborate to create a socially rich environment,
- to consider sustainable design as an approach that permeates the entire design process, and not as simply finding technical solutions in the final phases,
- to encourage a pedestrian-orientated lifestyle in a city which is strongly car-oriented and minimize energy consumption through active and passive means at an urban level as well as user level,
- to conserve ecological resources like water, soil, flora and fauna to enhance the bio-diversity.
Johannes Grothaus + Partners Landscape Architects (Potsdam/Dubai)
Renderings: LeBalto, Marc Pouzol.
Buro Happold (London/Dubai)
Commissioner/Developer: Dubai Properties (Dubai).
- Kutaisi Airport by UNStudio
- Jimenez Lai explores domestic cultures o…f Taiwan with colourful "houses" installation
- Spaceworkers' 07CBE House features canti…levered and transparent storeys
- Sapphire Gallery by XTEN Architecture
- Old Yorkshire barn converted into a mode…rn home by Snook Architects
- Interview with Peter Zumthor at the Serp…entine Gallery Pavilion 2011
- Silver Building by DSDHA
- BIG reveals sunken recycling centre belo…w terrain for joggers and snowboarders
- Bastide Niel on Miroir d'Eau in Bordeaux… by MVRDV
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories