The installation is constructed using paper-thin wood laminates, scored with a laser and folded along the curved seam into wedges.
The installation, created in collaboration with engineering firm Buro Happold, opened on 1 August and continues until 14 September.
The photos here were taken by Jud Terry.
The following is from the SCI-Arc Gallery:
The SCI-Arc Gallery is pleased to present Voussoir Cloud, a site-specific installation by San Francisco based architecture and design practice IwamotoScott in collaboration with Buro Happold.
Voussoir Cloud’s design explores the coupling of potentially conflicting constructional logics – the pure compression of a vault with an ultra-light sheet material. Opening August 8, this installation will be fabricated by IwamotoScott in association with SCI-Arc students.
Voussoirs, the wedge shaped masonry blocks that make up an arch, are redefined in Voussoir Cloud using a system of three-dimensional modules formed by folding paper thin wood laminate along curved seams. The curvature produces a form that relies on the internal surface tension to hold its shape and allows for a structural porosity within the constraints of sheet material.
The resulting dimpled, concave modules pack together; naturally creating vaulted forms with a light porous surface. The form-finding exploration of the whole is thus dependent on the geometric performance of the individual units and their relation to the gallery walls.
Voussoir Cloud intentionally confuses the structural and material strategies. By beginning with a material operation, the design process is focused on calibrating the relationship of digital model to physical result. Working closely with IwamotoScott, SCI-Arc students will assist in the design, construction and installation of the work.
- The Khan Shatyr Entertainment Centre by …Foster + Partners
- Richard Rogers RA: Inside Out exhibition… at the Royal Academy of Arts
- Porta Volta Fondazione Feltrinelli by He…rzog & de Meuron
- London 2012 Olympics stadium by HOK Spor…t
- United States Pavilion at the Venice Arc…hitecture Biennale 2012
- University building by Pedro Reis combin…es a white box with a rough concrete base
- Geneto adds pointed roofline to Italian …restaurant in Japan
- Harmony Tower by Studio Daniel Libeskind
- Création de 4 chambres d'hôtes by Loï…c Picquet
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories