Architects Fashion Architecture Taste have produced a stool with a seat in the form of a bust of Hercules cast in foam rubber.
The stool was commissioned for From Now to Eternity, an exploration of designers' use of plastic that opened in London last week.
Here's an explanation from FAT:
'Soft Hercules' is a stool cast from foam rubber – the soft squishy stuff that is usually used to make stress balls.
The bust of Hercules, usually something solid both in its material and the culture it represents becomes unexpectedly soft, deforming a recognizable object into stranger shapes when it is sat on. It uses the plasticity of rubber to suggest a more uncertain and doubtful state.
- Movie: tour of Design Products at Show R…CA 2012 with Tord Boontje
- Naoko Kanehira at New Designers
- Pininfarina fuses 1930s style with moder…n technology to produce bespoke bicycle
- Animal: The Other Side of Evolution by A…na Rajcevic
- Movie: Thomas Heatherwick on his design …for the Olympic cauldron
- New watches available exclusively for Va…lentine's Day at Dezeen Watch Store
- Zigzag by ISSSStudio and deSc
- Aluminium bowls by Fort Standard stand o…n fin-like legs
- V01 18k at Dezeen Watch Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories