Dutch architects René van Zuuk Architekten have completed Spikvoorde II, a building containing a school and apartments in Deventer, Netherlands.
A primary school occupies the first three floors of the building, with nine private apartments on the upper floors. All photos are copyright Christian Richters except where specified.
The following is from René van Zuuk Architekten:
Spikvoorde is a part of “De Vijfhoek” (The Pentagon), a new neighborhood in the city of Deventer in The Netherlands.
The project is situated in a very prominent location in this area, just across a T-junction which offers a view to all directions.
This distinct location calls for a vertical beacon that acts as a reference point within the neighborhood
Therefore the building has been split in segments that accentuate this vertical effect, which becomes even stronger when reflected in the water when seen from the entrance way. The segments itself are horizontally split to create balance in the facade.
The first segment is aligned with the entrance road. This volume get repeated two times by rotation.
The complete configuration curves along with the road that runs next to the water, creating a complex system to the eye but that is highly repetitive in building structure (floor and facade parts). Above image: copyright René van Zuuk Architekten
The north side is different; here the partly underground building follows the adjoining road.
Abov image: copyright René van Zuuk Architekten
On this side the entrance to primary school, which will occupy the first three floors, has been placed.
Next to their entrance a raised playground tops an extension that hides the school's offices.
- Housing and gallery on Bastille Place by… [BP] Architectures
- Hölick Sea Resort by Mats Edlund, Henri…etta Palmer and Matts Ingman
- "The concept was based on a football dia…gram" - Steven Holl on Campbell Sports Centre
- Charred Cabin by DRAA is a blackened tim…ber shelter on stilts
- Wall of bushy plants fronts São Paulo h…ousing block by TACOA
- 3D2Real by ILEK students
- Manned Cloud by Jean-Marie Massaud
- Sliver House by Boyarsky Murphy Architec…ts slots into a three-metre-wide space
- Private residence by Archiplan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories